A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: Little Walter, The Cult Leader, lazyben, NMA, static14, texasvinyl

By Hatter313
#112426 Yeah, I got the bridge cover, very cool! The third one is the zombie face, haven’t gotten a chance to watch the remaster yet but I’m loving the packaging on this.
By ChrisMcQueen007
#112429 Very cool - and pretty gross...
Eagerly awaiting my bridge cover version, from what I've seen online the transfer is fantastic (it will in any case be an `eye-opening` viewing as I haven't revisited this one since the VHS era).
By inksb
#112439 Blue Undergrounds previous bluray of Zombi 2 was terrible. Arrows version under the UK title Zombie Flesh Eaters was substantially better. From what I've seen the new Blue Underground 4K restoration tops that one by a bit as well. I've very excited to watch it again. This will only be the 4th time I've bought the film for myself :)

I love Fulci.
By ScoJo
inksb wrote:Blue Undergrounds previous bluray of Zombi 2 was terrible. Arrows version under the UK title Zombie Flesh Eaters was substantially better. From what I've seen the new Blue Underground 4K restoration tops that one by a bit as well. I've very excited to watch it again. This will only be the 4th time I've bought the film for myself :)

I love Fulci.

I will only watch the washed out, pan and scan, cut, vhs release of this flick.

For the feels, y'know? ;)
By ScoJo
#112453 Been sick as a dog and sleepless all night, watching 80s music vids (Toto, Hall & Oates, Doobie Brothers...) which led to a bunch of 'classic Miami Vice musical endings' somehow.

Remember this 'Brothers in Arms' one?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

"You knew he killed Acarro"

"Yeah. I helped him build the wall. He was my partner, you understand? He was my partner"

"Yeah"

I remember back in the day this was an episode I taped and rewatched over and over. I always thought that corpse fx was superb- looking now, I do wonder whether Mann repurposed a prosthetic from The Keep?? It just seems too good for tv, and the timeline tracks I guess?

Evan C- surely you have the behind-scenes skinny on this!? ;-)
By zuko
Mateo Sanboval wrote:@Zuko - Have you seen Goldstone or the MR series yet? I have them both but haven't watched either. I really liked Mystery Road and am almost nervous for an expanded universe if you will. Everybody was excellent in it, particularly the always amazing Hugo Weaving and Aaron Pederson, and the film had great atmosphere.

Cycling back a bit here, but finally got round to watching Goldstone last night. Loved it; if you were into the first movie you will too.
By Hatter313
ScoJo wrote:Been sick as a dog and sleepless all night, watching 80s music vids (Toto, Hall & Oates, Doobie Brothers...) which led to a bunch of 'classic Miami Vice musical endings' somehow.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

"Yeah. I helped him build the wall. He was my partner, you understand? He was my partner"

"Yeah"

I remember back in the day this was an episode I taped and rewatched over and over. I always thought that corpse fx was superb- looking now, I do wonder whether Mann repurposed a prosthetic from The Keep?? It just seems too good for tv, and the timeline tracks I guess?

I love a good repurposed corpse, all the desiccated husks in the Brendan Fraser Mummy were recycled from Lifeforce. I love the idea that those dummies were just sitting somewhere in storage piled up like real bodies In case they needed to be used again.

What really cracks me up is how on earth did props from Cannon wind up in a universal movie
14 years later.
By Mateo Sanboval
zuko wrote:
Mateo Sanboval wrote:@Zuko - Have you seen Goldstone or the MR series yet? I have them both but haven't watched either. I really liked Mystery Road and am almost nervous for an expanded universe if you will. Everybody was excellent in it, particularly the always amazing Hugo Weaving and Aaron Pederson, and the film had great atmosphere.

Cycling back a bit here, but finally got round to watching Goldstone last night. Loved it; if you were into the first movie you will too.

That's great news!
By maxlevel
#112485 Watched the Quiet Earth, superb! Total branding overkill! Thanks for the tips everyone... now to revisit Once Were Warriors, not seen since 199-. Was definitely at high school.
By ScoJo
maxlevel wrote:Watched the Quiet Earth, superb!.

Isn't it though?

The only thing that's always bothered me is... whose fuckwit idea was it to spoil the final 'big twist' shot of the movie in EVERY bit of release publicity?? Every poster, every home video cover, even the ost sleeve- wft? It's the film's big Planet of the Apes denoument, and I loved it, but I would have been blown away if I hadn't already been made really super aware of the shot (and waiting through the whole running time for it to drop...)
A similar situation to the OG Wicker Man poster really. (Now, whoever was in charge of THAT spoiler needs a good swift kicking!)

Ps Once Were Warriors is incredible. I was married to a kiwi around that time, it was a huge film. Haven't seen it myself since. Not sure if I have the stones to go there again.
By EvanCampbell
ScoJo wrote:Been sick as a dog and sleepless all night, watching 80s music vids (Toto, Hall & Oates, Doobie Brothers...) which led to a bunch of 'classic Miami Vice musical endings' somehow.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

"Yeah"

Scott sounds reasonable. Happens all the time. TV time frames for that type of work is really brutal. Sometimes you will only have a day or so and it really is not possible to put together something of quality like that. Plus, many shops have standard stock pieces. Bodies, body parts and corpses that they use constantly. I sculpted some dead children corpses for a HBO movie Citizen X and years later on saw them used in one of the recent Texas Chainsaw movies. I did not work on the film but recognized my sculpture immediately(Bastards)lol. Also remember sculpting a heart for an episode of ER that ended up being used in so many films and TV things.
By Mateo Sanboval
#112492 Citizen X! Holy smokes, I forgot about that one. great anecdote, Evan.
By ScoJo
#112493 Thanks EC, knew you'd give us the straight inside dope. Now I can rest assured in my belief that those Miami cops run across one of Mollassar's nazi victims hidden in the walls of a derelict beach house - Crocket and Tubbs as part of the extended Keep-iverse! :-D

Also... love how you recognised your own heart. That's... just beautiful (>snif<)
By Hatter313
#112498 Extended Keep universe could one day be a reality if they ever adapt any of F Paul Wilson's other books. Molasar and Gleaken's whole deal in the books is so much richer than what Mann was able to do for the film and spans a LOT of time. the series has two parallel sequences, one that tracks the Molasar character basically and one that tracks the overall hero (Repairman Jack, an urban mercenary type character who gets increasingly involved in everything else)and then they start criss crossing towards the end. I came to the series because i'm such a massive fan of the film, and its one of the more fun pulp series out there.
By tim28212
Hatter313 wrote:Extended Keep universe could one day be a reality if they ever adapt any of F Paul Wilson's other books. Molasar and Gleaken's whole deal in the books is so much richer than what Mann was able to do for the film and spans a LOT of time. the series has two parallel sequences, one that tracks the Molasar character basically and one that tracks the overall hero (Repairman Jack, an urban mercenary type character who gets increasingly involved in everything else)and then they start criss crossing towards the end. I came to the series because i'm such a massive fan of the film, and its one of the more fun pulp series out there.

F Paul Wilson did a great job with that series of books. Recommended reading for sure! I would love to see amazon, netflix, or someone else take them on. There is so much there to play with and if done right could be phenomenal.
By Mateo Sanboval
#112502 I was totally unaware that there were books. I'm going to try and find them now.
By ScoJo
#112504 Like mateo, it's news to me that there were more installments after the first book. I do recall that the author was (aherm) 'underwhelmed' by Mann's film.

Anyway, further to my previous- I heartily rec'd watching the Miami Vice ending featuring 'In The Air Tonight'.
It's fun revisiting MV - there are a bunch of stock shots (ie closeup on speeding tire with chrome hubcap reflecting street lights) that you literally see in every ep.
I vividly recall waiting with my beloved flat deck tape recorder (which I got by swapping for the first ever Casio digital watch) and recording the opening/closing themes. Also did so with Streethawk, Airwolf and 'V'!
By Mateo Sanboval
ScoJo wrote:Like mateo, it's news to me that there were more installments after the first book. I do recall that the author was (aherm) 'underwhelmed' by Mann's film.

Anyway, further to my previous- I heartily rec'd watching the Miami Vice ending featuring 'In The Air Tonight'.
It's fun revisiting MV - there are a bunch of stock shots (ie closeup on speeding tire with chrome hubcap reflecting street lights) that you literally see in every ep.
I vividly recall waiting with my beloved flat deck tape recorder (which I got by swapping for the first ever Casio digital watch) and recording the opening/closing themes. Also did so with Streethawk, Airwolf and 'V'!

I think Miami Vice is one of the best TV shows ever made and, at the least, was revolutionary for its time.
By ScoJo
Mateo Sanboval wrote:
ScoJo wrote:Like mateo, it's news to me that there were more installments after the first book. I do recall that the author was (aherm) 'underwhelmed' by Mann's film.

I think Miami Vice is one of the best TV shows ever made and, at the least, was revolutionary for its time.

Which other show at the time featured Phil Collins as a snitch, calling people 'wanker'? (It's nuts the things you choose to remember!)
By Hatter313
#112517 The adversary cycle starts with the keep, and the third book of that series starts the repairman jack series that spins off for a dozen or so books before winding back to the overall story. He wrote the main series as stand alone until the fourth book where he started bringing in characters from the previous 3 and then expanded his hero from the third India dozen or so novels that develop that character. Modern printings are heavily revised after the third book in the main sequence so if you guys do get into them I’d recommend getting the recent printings so things gel a little more.

Molasar is presented as more of a vampire type character at first and the novel is very much a riff on carpathian mythology for the first half until everything starts going weird. It’s a shame the author doesn’t dig the film (although if you read the book it’s VERY understandable) because I actually think Mann at the height of his powers would have a been an excellent choice to film repairman jack.
By Hatter313
static14 wrote:Image

But my mother lives in Hackensack...