A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: Little Walter, The Cult Leader, lazyben, NMA, static14, texasvinyl

By ScoJo
#111417 Sleepaway sequel recommendations?? Well hot damn, I never for a minute thought they'd be worth the time! I shall, as they say, be all over them like a cheap suit.

Current (election flavoured) viewing:

ALL THE PRESIDENTS MEN

Come on, Ummerica- kick these bozo fucks to the curb!
By inksb
#111418 Based on your viewing in this thread I can definitely see you enjoying part 2 @Scojo and by the sounds of it part 3 as well which I'll hopefully be watching tonight or tomorrow.
By Jimmy_Mike
#111421 Going to see The Bird with Crystal Plumage tonight on the big screen. First time. Gotta get away from the breaking election coverage.
By Mateo Sanboval
#111423 @Inks and ScoJo - Get stuck in, lads!

@Jimmy - That sounds damn fine. Heading to the cinema for 2001 tomorrow afternoon myself.
By monsterworship
#111451 Hold The Dark - the latest film from Jeremy Saulnier currently on Netflix.

The slow burn formula.
Lots of killing. blair brothers ost.
Darkness.
Weirdness
Great performances from Alexander Skarsgård and Jeffrey Wright.
Takes place in Alaska, really amazing shots of nature.

check it.
By Bezulsqy
#111456 Loved the Sleepaway sequels! I watched all three movies last year.
@Jimmy: wow! Very jealous. One of my all time favorite movies.
@Mateo: Enjoy 2001!. I have seen this on the big screen as well past year. Fantastic experience.
@Monster: thanks for the tip!

Watched this yeasterday. 46th spaghetti western of the year. And one of the best.

Also watched the pilot and episode 1 of Twin Peaks yesterday. Haven't watched any Twin Peaks in ages and let the whole TP bonanza around season three pass. I am going to watch season 1 and 2 in the next month or two and am going to see the first two episodes of season three in a local theater on the big screen.
The museum next door is starting with building its David Lynch exhibition:
By inksb
monsterworship wrote:Hold The Dark - the latest film from Jeremy Saulnier currently on Netflix.

The slow burn formula.
Darkness.
Weirdness

check it.

Both this and Gareth Evans new film Apostle are high on my "to watch" list. If I didn't work 6 days a week and have to split firewood I would have a lot more time to watch movies. Fall is always the worst for me for free time.
By NathanLurker
#111466 I watched Apostle with 3 friends. We all thought it was a bit mediocre. A good setup, quite a few good ideas, but in the end, it doesn't seem to gel together too well. I felt like whoever had the story ideas wanted to show us some things and made their characters act according to the scenes they wanted to play out rather than flesh out characters that are believable. I felt it didn't have much to say other than show you folk horror and fanatic antagonists. It was okay, but kind of meh, imo.
By ScoJo
Bezulsqy wrote:The museum next door is starting with building its David Lynch exhibition:

Oh shit....
By ScoJo
monsterworship wrote:Hold The Dark - the latest film from Jeremy Saulnier currently on Netflix.

The slow burn formula.
Darkness.
Weirdness

check it.

I fully endorse this monstrously worshipful announcement
By maxlevel
NathanLurker wrote:I watched Apostle with 3 friends. We all thought it was a bit mediocre. A good setup, quite a few good ideas, but in the end, it doesn't seem to gel together too well. I felt like whoever had the story ideas wanted to show us some things and made their characters act according to the scenes they wanted to play out rather than flesh out characters that are believable. I felt it didn't have much to say other than show you folk horror and fanatic antagonists. It was okay, but kind of meh, imo.

I didn’t like it. However, without name dropping too obviously, I know the kid who gets his brains corkscrewed out and was texting mutual friends excitedly for days

Also need to see hold the dark with urgency
By Mateo Sanboval
Bezulsqy wrote:@Mateo: Enjoy 2001!. I have seen this on the big screen as well past year. Fantastic experience.

Yep, it's great. I saw the then-new 4K restoration on the big screen a couple of years ago, but it's the sort of film that I will continue to see every single time it's playing near me. There are few, if any, more exquisitely shot films. And the practical effects they used fifty years ago still look better than most of the tentpole films in theaters today. T minus four hours...

I'm mildly excited.
By inksb
#111639 Well I finished Hill House. Boy oh boy was that final episode terrible. The show itself was boring and drawn out but overall I can see the appeal and attention it was getting. I didn't like the look of the show, the ghost designs were generic and the scares were pretty few and far between. Lots of opportunity to build tension but it never muster it up for more than a minute or so. The adult characters were all so unlikable accept the twins, which is a shame as I like most of the cast in other stuff they have been in. Oh well, can't win all the time, some shows are just duds.

Speaking of duds....

I'm a big fan of Glass Eye Pix and have been hearing quite positive stuff from the festival rounds on this one. And while it's not a bad film by any means, it just didn't deliver on the positive reviews I heard going into it. I really liked the main actress and the brief appearance of Larry Fessenden. Every other cast member just seemed to play a stereotype really well, so I can't fault them as it seems more the scripts fault. The directing was pretty good, some nice lighting in certain scenes, cinematography was decent and an interesting story. I just wish the writing was a little better and the casting of the ranger didn't quite work for me. Overall it was an OK film, it will definitely have a cult following over the years. I'm interested to see where the director goes next.

For the anime fans out there, I have been slowly watching JoJo's Bizarre Adventures (2012 version), I finished season one (which is broke into two parts) and started season two (which is called part 3? stupid anime). Part 1 I struggled to watch, Part 2 had some fun moments but damn the first 5 episodes of Part 3 have hooked me and I now understand why my friend has been pushing me to watch this for ages. It's so dumb, absurd and a lot of fun. The introduction of Stands has been what I've been waiting for since the beginning of the series as I used to play the dreamcast/arcade game years ago. I find the character design ridiculous, they all look like they have robot arms. Check out the photo below.
By inksb
#111678 Not sure if any of you fine folks watch Channel Zero but you should. Season 4 just wrapped. I started first episode last night and it seems like it's going to be on par with the first three seasons. Each one is self contained so you can start on any season. I think each season has been successively better than the last. Hoping 4 continues the trend, it has the always incredible Barbara Crampton so it gets big bonus points right out of the gate. It's easily the best horror show currently airing and has been for years.
By maxlevel
#111687 @inksb wow, on that now. Cheers! The uk dosnt have it anywhere apart from itunes so I bought season 1. For some reason that’s all we have! And it’s got Fiona Shaw in.
By blindguy
#111689 I love channel zero! I really need to rewisit season 1 because i realized around episode 3 it's not a show you can watch while doing something else, you actually need to WATCH it. I don't hear it talked about much so I'm afraid even the horror community has ignored it too much. Having it on Shudder should help with that.
By inksb
maxlevel wrote:@inksb wow, on that now. Cheers! The uk dosnt have it anywhere apart from itunes so I bought season 1. For some reason that’s all we have! And it’s got Fiona Shaw in.

Check Shudder to see if they have Season 2. In the US Shudder has the streaming rights to seasons 1 & 2. If you dig it and can't find more let me know and I can upload all of s2-s4 for you, I have them all digitally.

@blindguy, it definitely seems fairly slept on in the general public but most of the horror writers & podcasts I follow seem to be big fans and promote it when it's on (Shockwaves has even had the creator on twice in a year to promote seasons 2 & 3). Season 4 was a little bit of a change though as they aired all 6 episodes nightly leading up to Halloween, every other season has been a weekly airing. And I had the same thing happen to me during season 1 as well, you have to focus, do not be distracted otherwise you'll miss plenty of stuff.
By Bezulsqy
#111708 Thanks for the tip @Inskb. Might check it out when I get the time.

Yesterday I watched spaghetti western 47 and 48. Both brilliant.