A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: Little Walter, The Cult Leader, lazyben, NMA, static14, texasvinyl

By Hatter313
#111219 Having some friends over in a bit for a marathon.

The docket is:
Phantom of the Paradise
Halloween III
Suspiria (Double dose of Jessica Harper)
Night of the Demons
Trick r’ Treat

Happy Halloween STBC!
By inksb
ScoJo wrote:I know, I know..... you're talking about the one with Sam, not Sammi ;)

I just got a bit over-excited sorry. Do excuse me :)

Ps. I'm just about to queue up Trick r Treat myself!!

And let's never forget where little Sam got his start eh? In this 3mins of pure uncut Halloween genius :D

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53L81u5E9BQ[/youtube]

Oh I love Mike's original short. It was on the old bluray but not in a great quality. The new Scream Factory bluray has a new HD version taken from the original 16mm (at least I think it ws 16mm). That will be watched first then Trick R Treat.

I've never seen Trick or Treat, always wanted to but it's harder to come by in the US. Any one who wants to watch it, I just found it on youtube, you can watch it here, it looks to be decent quality too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hs1SoqA4Pq4
By static14
Mateo Sanboval wrote:
ScoJo wrote:Image

Plus Ozzy and Gene. Fun flick.

And a baddy who can almost be killed with toilet water.
By Mateo Sanboval
static14 wrote:
Mateo Sanboval wrote:
ScoJo wrote:Image

Plus Ozzy and Gene. Fun flick.

And a baddy who can almost be killed with toilet water.

A relateable flaw.
By Mateo Sanboval
deafmetal wrote:@Mateo - An all-time favorite of mine. Such unreal atmosphere.

Well said.
By Hatter313
#111259 I had never seen The Shining on the big screen until this past Saturday, got to me in a way it hasn’t in years.

My guests have just left...apparently “Night of the Demons” was unknown to all of them and they had a blast. And I was able to introduce someone to both Suspiria and Halloween 3 for the first time which is always a treat. I’m the horror guy in my group and don’t really have friends who are into it the way some of us on here are, so it’s always great when something I show them clicks. Two years ago the bill was Halloween, Bride of Reanimator, Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2, and Trick r Treat...lemme tell you Bride and TCM 2 got some wild reactions.

Winding down the night with a solo viewing of return of the vampire, Columbia’s unofficial Dracula sequel with Bela Lugosi and one of the first films to put a werewolf and a vampire in the same film. Lugosi gets to really...ahem....sink his teeth into the role and I think I like him as “Armand Tesla” even more than the count himself.

Another Halloween in the can on my end. Hope everyone had a great one, see y’all on the other side. :)
By Mateo Sanboval
#111261 Great selections Hatter. Just got back from Evil Dead 2 and settling in for a nightcap myself...
By inksb
#111304 Cabin in the Woods is such a blast.

Not sure if this will be everybody's cup of tea but I've been enjoying the Chilling Adventures of Sabrina quite a bit. It's darker than I expected, has some decent humor, really cool practical effects, a badass looking Satan and a great cast. My only real complaint so far is that Salem doesn't talk (missed opportunity, it's a show about witches you can have a talking cat familiar) and for the first 2-3 episodes they over used soft focus a lot, to the point where it was irritating me. I'm 6 episodes in and enjoying about 100 times more than Haunting of Hill House which is awfully mediocre.
By ScoJo
#111315 So I'm into the first episode of HOMECOMING on Amazon (Julia Roberts, directed by Sam 'Mr Robot' Esmail) and I dig it so far.

But there's bonus fun for us film music geeks- it seems the show is being mostly scored with existing soundtrack cues! In ep. 1 I clocked Dressed to Kill, The Parallax View and Vertigo amongst others... I won't spoil the fun for you too much!
By Hatter313
inksb wrote:Cabin in the Woods is such a blast.

Not sure if this will be everybody's cup of tea but I've been enjoying the Chilling Adventures of Sabrina quite a bit. It's darker than I expected, has some decent humor, really cool practical effects, a badass looking Satan and a great cast. My only real complaint so far is that Salem doesn't talk (missed opportunity, it's a show about witches you can have a talking cat familiar) and for the first 2-3 episodes they over used soft focus a lot, to the point where it was irritating me. I'm 6 episodes in and enjoying about 100 times more than Haunting of Hill House which is awfully mediocre.

I mainlined the whole thing over two days last weekend, I loved it.
By Mateo Sanboval
ScoJo wrote:So I'm into the first episode of HOMECOMING on Amazon (Julia Roberts, directed by Sam 'Mr Robot' Esmail) and I dig it so far.

But there's bonus fun for us film music geeks- it seems the show is being mostly scored with existing soundtrack cues! In ep. 1 I clocked Dressed to Kill, The Parallax View and Vertigo amongst others... I won't spoil the fun for you too much!

The few promos I saw of this didn't grab me. But this? This grabs me.
By ScoJo
Mateo Sanboval wrote:The few promos I saw of this didn't grab me. But this? This grabs me.

It has the Mr Robot style for sure, it's based on a very popular podcast it turns out. I enjoyed it, the performances are outstanding and the music thing is fantastic- without spoiling, there's a TON of Carpenter in the latter episodes!!

An added bonus for me is that each episode clocks in at 30mins- lean and mean. I get serious fatigue with these long winded, endlessly drawn out 45m-to-1hr-per-episode shows (looking at you, Haunting of Hill House!)
By maxlevel
#111322 @scojo we had exactly that with First Man with Sean Penn.

Bosch is excellent if a little light and wholesome. Bad guys bad, good guys misunderstood. I just love seeing footage of LA at the moment

Also liked ep1 of Berlin Station last week. Decent cast, nice setup and the immortal Richard Jenkins
By inksb
#111357 Good choice @bez on The Night Comes for Us. Let me knwo what you thought. Did you enjoy Southbound? That was a little too hyped up for me, I followed it all the way through it's original premeire and festival run, so by the time I saw it I was a little let down. I thought it was very good and better than VHS2&3 (although Gareth Evans segment in VHS2 is the best thing to come out fo that series by a wide margin). The middles segment in Soutbound was my favorite, I think it was called The Accident.

Watched this finally. It might be my favorite film of the year. I need to watch it again.
By Bezulsqy
inksb wrote:Good choice @bez on The Night Comes for Us. Let me knwo what you thought. Did you enjoy Southbound? That was a little too hyped up for me, I followed it all the way through it's original premeire and festival run, so by the time I saw it I was a little let down. I thought it was very good and better than VHS2&3 (although Gareth Evans segment in VHS2 is the best thing to come out fo that series by a wide margin). The middles segment in Soutbound was my favorite, I think it was called The Accident.

Watched this finally. It might be my favorite film of the year. I need to watch it again.

I watched it based on your recommendation. And was not disappointed. Excellent action. Great effects. Brutal. And fun.
Southbound I liked as well. Yes the Accident was a very clever bit. I liked to flow of the whole movie. Nice to see how all the segments tied together.
Leatherface was not interesting at all.

Mandy I liked but was not blown away. The first half of the movie I was constantly thinking this was not for me because I haven't done enough drugs to get it :-) The second half I loved. And the score as well. Still need to buy it though.
By Hatter313
maxlevel wrote:Watched psychomania over the weekend. Hilarious nonsense, but what a soundtrack!

That movie is a real treat, George Sanders final film. I think I first became aware of it when one of those cineploit bands did a cover of the theme. Trunk put out the score a year or so back and it’s killer!
By inksb
#111398 I still need to see Psychomania but that score is excellent. DFN is the reason I bought that record, they played one track and I immediately went online to buy it.

I've never seen the sequels and since they popped up on Amazon recently I decided to give them a go. Not what I was expecting at all but actually pretty fun. It's a small camp slasher, that's it. Some fun kills and lots of them. I was really surprised with the body count in this film. SPOILER every one dies, seriously every one. Now I'm pretty excited to check out what they do with part 3. I like the new Angela too.
By Mateo Sanboval
#111409 Agreed, Inks. I really enjoy the second and third films, albeit in a completely different way. And Bruce Springsteen's little sister perfectly suits the tonal turn the franchise takes beginning with SCII.