A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: Little Walter, The Cult Leader, lazyben, NMA, static14, texasvinyl

By Mateo Sanboval
deafmetal wrote:@Mateo - my tastes lean toward the absurd/bizarre with bonus points for comedy or scifi elements:

- Antichrist (bizarre and just creepy af)
- Black Swan (this should count as horror)
- Cabin in the Woods (as @Hatter said, a love letter to genre fans)
- Drag Me To Hell (pure gold)
- Paranormal Activity (just the first one, I don't remember much shakycam, but some good moments)
- The Girl with All the Gifts (not my favorite, but a solid effort with an interesting premise)
- The House of the Devil (throwback 80's satanic horror worship)
- The Neon Demon (does this count? I enjoyed it as a piece of horror art)
- The Ritual (could have been better, but bonus points for the creature design)
- Troll Hunter (yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes)
- Under The Skin (as if I didn't love ScarJo enough already... ffs)

on my watch list:
- A Quiet Place
- Berberian Sound Studio
- Green Room
- It
- It Follows
- Kill List
- The VVitch
- The Human Centipede (lol, I must know)
- You're Next

Some great suggestions and reminders, Deaf. Thank you. I have seen Cabin in the Woods, House of the Devil, and Troll Hunters and I loved them all. Though Troll Hunters is another film I never thought of as horror for some reason. Innkeepers, the follow up to HotD, was another decent one. The first Paranormal Activity was also really effective in places. Seen Drag Me To Hell as well but don't remember it very well so I'm putting it on the list along with The Ritual and The Girl With All The Gifts.
By Hatter313
#110377 Seconding beyond the gates for sure, that was a super fun flick, nothing special but fun

Will also throw We Are Still Here into the mix, a movie that was so obvious about itself it veered into paradoy for a bit witha third act that was completely nuts. Also more fassenden which is always great. (He’s in you’re next as well)

Actually if you don’t know fassendens work, he’s really something. King of indie horror, he’s the guy behind glass eye pix and even when he’s not directly producing he’s always kind of in the background putting up money and giving new filmmakers a chance, his vampire movie “habit” is in my opinion the best of the 90s indie revisionist vampire flicks.
By deafmetal
#110378 @inks and @hatter - Great suggestions! A lot I have never heard of before. I was also going to mention Bone Tomahawk, but assumed @Mateo caught that one already. I would like to watch it again though along with his latest Dragged Across Concrete.
By Dollarhyde
#110379 As @deaf mentioned would also highly recommend Antichrist if you have not already seen it, loved that movie.

'Chaos Reigns!'

Some great recommendations here for the season, lots I haven't seen too.
By Mateo Sanboval
inksb wrote:
deafmetal wrote:@Mateo - my tastes lean toward the absurd/bizarre with bonus points for comedy or scifi elements:

- Antichrist (bizarre and just creepy af)
- Black Swan (this should count as horror)
- Cabin in the Woods (as @Hatter said, a love letter to genre fans)
- Drag Me To Hell (pure gold)
- Paranormal Activity (just the first one, I don't remember much shakycam, but some good moments)
- The Girl with All the Gifts (not my favorite, but a solid effort with an interesting premise)
- The House of the Devil (throwback 80's satanic horror worship)
- The Neon Demon (does this count? I enjoyed it as a piece of horror art)
- The Ritual (could have been better, but bonus points for the creature design)
- Troll Hunter (yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes)
- Under The Skin (as if I didn't love ScarJo enough already... ffs)

on my watch list:
- A Quiet Place
- Berberian Sound Studio
- Green Room
- It
- It Follows
- Kill List
- The VVitch
- The Human Centipede (lol, I must know)
- You're Next

Well Mateo you have some work cut out for you. As discussed in the other thread you should watch The Blackcoat's Daughter, Darling and The Invitation. I can get behind almost everything that Deafmetal suggested. Kill List has a very Wickerman vibe to it. The Witch was excellent. The Human Centipede is not good in my opinion but it's worth watching as it's fucking crazy, don't bother with the sequels though. Green Room is one of the most stressful and nailbiting films I've ever seen.

I'll add some others that I haven't seen mentioned yet.

Beyond the Gates (low budget Fulci vibes with the great Barbara Crampton)
I Saw the Devil (insane Korean serial killer film, incredible)
Don't Breathe (Fede Alverez, director of Evil Dead remake, second film)
Oculus (one of many Mike Flanagan films I'm going to recommend, about a haunted mirror)
Hush (Flanagan directed, a deaf woman is terrified in her home by some one trying to kill her, pretty inventive at times)
Ouija Origin of Evil (I expected this to be terrible but it's fun little flick, more Flanagan)
Geralds Game (King adaption by Flanagan, one of the most uncomfortable scenes ever)
The Wailing (another great Korean horror flick)
Train to Busan(more Korean goodness, I'm not a big modern day zombie fan but this one is an exception)
Bone Tomahawk (horror western with Kurt Russel rocking his incredible mustache)
The Innkeepers (a nice genuinely creepy haunted hotel flick by the director of House of the Devil)
The Autopsy of Jane Doe (an incredible first 2/3 of a film that is slightly marred by a weaker final act, worth checking out)
Coldfish (crazy film by Sion Sono, his films are always worth a watch. Check out Why Dont you Play in Hell? as well)
Starry Eyes (a disturbing look at the effects that the desire to be famous can have on some one)
Tales of Halloween (a great anthology)
Mayhem (Joe Lynch's office bloodbath film)
Victor Crowley (Hatchet 4, if you like the Hatchet films you'll love this, if you haven't seen the Hatchet films, check out 1 & 2)
Tucker & Dale Vs Evil (one of the best horror comedies of the last few decades)
What We Do In the Shadows (the best horror comedy of the last few decades)
The Sacrament (kind of found footage but actually shot as a documentary, a fictional retelling of the Jim Jones mass suicide)
We Are What We Are (2010 remake of the Spanish film of the same name, creepy cannibal film)
The Guest (more of an action film but still recommended, killer soundtrack too)

I'll leave it at that. Good luck and let us know what you end up watching.

You ain't kidding Inks. So many movies.

I've seen Human Centipede and concur with your appraisal.

Green Room and A Quiet Place honestly both seem too stressful. I've consciously avoided those films as a result. Perhaps I will amend that. Perhaps.

Innkeepers was good. I Saw The Devil and especially Bone Tomahawk are exceptional, but I never thought of them as horror.

So many other great suggestions in here, though. Train To Busan, Tales Of Halloween, Beyond the Gates, and Starry Eyes are definitely going on the list.
By Mateo Sanboval
deafmetal wrote:@inks and @hatter - Great suggestions! A lot I have never heard of before. I was also going to mention Bone Tomahawk, but assumed @Mateo caught that one already. I would like to watch it again though along with his latest Dragged Across Concrete.

Bone Tomahawk is one of m favorite films of the last ten years or so. I truly love it.

On an unrelated note, I saw Bad Times At The El Royale tonight and it is great. truly great. Not sure what else to say at this hour, but I was so pleasantly surprised; it was just fantastic.
By inksb
Hatter313 wrote:Seconding beyond the gates for sure, that was a super fun flick, nothing special but fun

Will also throw We Are Still Here into the mix, a movie that was so obvious about itself it veered into paradoy for a bit witha third act that was completely nuts. Also more fassenden which is always great. (He’s in you’re next as well)

Actually if you don’t know fassendens work, he’s really something. King of indie horror, he’s the guy behind glass eye pix and even when he’s not directly producing he’s always kind of in the background putting up money and giving new filmmakers a chance, his vampire movie “habit” is in my opinion the best of the 90s indie revisionist vampire flicks.

All of this! I love Larry so much, he's such a pleasure to watch on screen and he doesn't get enough of it. I love Habit. He is the reason we have movies from Ti West, Ti would have never got the break he did or the creative freedom to make House of the Devil with out Larry's involvement. I still need to buy the Larry Fessenden Collection from Sream Factory as I haven't seen two of those films (Wendigo seems right up my alley). His last film he directed, Beneath, was a fun send up of creature films and well worth a watch if you enjoy him as a director (definitely doesn't deserve the 2 star rating on IMDB).

We Are Still Here is another Fulci inspired film that I enjoy quite a bit and it was shot in my neck of the woods, quite literally as it was shot at an old farm house a few minutes from my home and the "bar" scene was shot at a bar that's 10 minutes from my house. And you get the one two punch of Fessenden and Barbara Crampton (a big plus in my book)
By Hatter313
inksb wrote:
Hatter313 wrote:Seconding beyond the gates for sure, that was a super fun flick, nothing special but fun

All of this! I love Larry so much, he's such a pleasure to watch on screen and he doesn't get enough of it. I love Habit. He is the reason we have movies from Ti West, Ti would have never got the break he did or the creative freedom to make House of the Devil with out Larry's involvement. I still need to buy the Larry Fessenden Collection from Sream Factory as I haven't seen two of those films (Wendigo seems right up my alley). His last film he directed, Beneath, was a fun send up of creature films and well worth a watch if you enjoy him as a director (definitely doesn't deserve the 2 star rating on IMDB).

We Are Still Here is another Fulci inspired film that I enjoy quite a bit and it was shot in my neck of the woods, quite literally as it was shot at an old farm house a few minutes from my home and the "bar" scene was shot at a bar that's 10 minutes from my house. And you get the one two punch of Fessenden and Barbara Crampton (a big plus in my book)

And Lisa Marie being so intensely odd it hurts. thats awesome that it was filmed so close to you, great scenery!

I was able to see Habit screen at the Alamo with Larry there. the Q and A basically devolved into me and a friend just chatting with him surrounded by an audience. A few weeks later I was wandering around downtown NYC and looked up to realize I was right next to the driveway and building the ending was filmed at. That box set is great!
By J.R.
#110442 I’ve been playing catch up on my website so I’ve watched some crap over the last two days, specifically the Night of the Demons remake and a piece of moronic poop called Eloise, which tried to tap into that post millennium ghost story thing, but with an aethetic stolen from the remake of House on Haunted Hill.

It all poisoned my brain.
By inksb
J.R. wrote:I’ve been playing catch up on my website so I’ve watched some crap over the last two days, specifically the Night of the Demons remake and a piece of moronic poop called Eloise, which tried to tap into that post millennium ghost story thing, but with an aethetic stolen from the remake of House on Haunted Hill.

The Night of the Demons remake is terrible but I will say they managed to do another shocking "nipple" gag that's not as good as the first but surprised me just the same.
By J.R.
inksb wrote:
J.R. wrote:I’ve been playing catch up on my website so I’ve watched some crap over the last two days, specifically the Night of the Demons remake and a piece of moronic poop called Eloise, which tried to tap into that post millennium ghost story thing, but with an aethetic stolen from the remake of House on Haunted Hill.

The Night of the Demons remake is terrible but I will say they managed to do another shocking "nipple" gag that's not as good as the first but surprised me just the same.

For me, the only time I really was interested in this film was the appearance of Linnea Quigley in the same outfit she wore in the original, flashing her... underwear... in the same manner at some kids. Not sure how appropriate it was, but it was nice to see her in a modern movie.
By Bezulsqy
#110476 Thanks @Deaf and @Inksb for the lists. I still need to see a lot of those.

I recommend Annabelle:Creation. I have not seen the first Annabelle. I think I read that one is not great. But Creation I found to be very good.

Last week I watched spaghetti western number 41 and 42. Both very good.

Johnny Hamlet a.k.a.

This one is top notch. A blind protagonist searching for 50 women. Great Cipriani score.

By inksb
#110477 @Bez, good call, I forgot about Annabelle Creation, it is very good. And yes the first one is terrible don't bother watching it unless you are really into "The Conjuring" universe.
By inksb
#110613 Image
I love this one. Hooper did a fantastic job directing this. Plenty of creepy moments and a thrilling finale.
By Hatter313
#110614 one of my favorite King adaptations, and one done so closely to the release of the book that it feels right in every way. I remember watching it on TV as a kid all the time, it was a Sci Fi Channel staple in the late 90s. When i read the book i was disappointed that the movie made Barlow a mute Nosferatu style monster and gave all his lines to Straker, then when i was a little older I realized how great that really was and gave James Mason so much to work with. it starts slow, but its heavy on atmosphere and will always be one fo my all time favorite vampire movies.

With all the king adaptions coming out, i would love to see someone really tackle this again with the attention and budget I got and Pet Semetary looks like its getting, but this will always be a special one for me.
By Mateo Sanboval
#110630 I love Salem's Lot as well. I think it's the only King adaptation I own. Though I do enjoy a couple of others.

Hatter, did I read you right? There's a Pet Cemetery remake coming down the pike?
By NathanLurker
Mateo Sanboval wrote:I love Salem's Lot as well. I think it's the only King adaptation I own. Though I do enjoy a couple of others.

Hatter, did I read you right? There's a Pet Cemetery remake coming down the pike?

Yeah it was announced I think after the success of the IT remake, here's the trailer :

By inksb
#110635 John Lithgow as Jud Crandall is great casting IMO. And it's directed by the guys who did Starry Eyes so my hopes are pretty high for this one.

edit: just watched that trailer, it looks like it got a lot right from the book (which I just re-read last month) but I'm not sold on the creepy kids wearing creepy mask angle. I hope that's just being leaned on for the marketing as it doesn't belong in the film.
By ScoJo
#110636 I might just hit pause on my movie consumption for a while and re-read all those early King books. I haven't done so since my late teens, should be fun.
By J.R.
#110642 I have two movies to review for my website to watch/ review today: The Beyond and Island of Death!