A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: Little Walter, The Cult Leader, lazyben, NMA, static14, texasvinyl

By bpwlogan
ScoJo wrote:
image.jpeg

I always liked some of the score cuts that Tom Scott created for this film especially "Rodeo Day".
By ScoJo
#106724 The score is pretty wonderful, I didn't realise it was out there tbh (re-recorded or otherwise...)
Thanks for the tip-off!
By ScoJo
image.jpeg

Aka The Mutilator!

Never caught this later slasher ('85) but I hear it's bloody as hell, looking forward to some seminal grue from Mark Shostrom. Theme song is awesome! (Coming in with titles a full 10 mins into the flick!) Anyone ever put this baby on shellac??
By ScoJo

Haha...sounds more like Private Resort/Hot Dog:The Movie than a super gruesome slashfest!
By ScoJo
#106845 20mins in- so far the most brutal thing in this flick is the music editing! It gives censored 80s Italian horror a run for it's money in the 'unsophisticated abruptness' stakes.
By ScoJo
#106847 Solid slasher B grade for Fall Break. The acting/dialogue was super terrible, but as promised once it go into it the red stuff flowed pretty freely. My favourite thing was the location tbh, and the fact that as soon as Jaws was referenced early on, the score consistently parodied the theme from that point forwards- as though the composer got to that point and thought 'oh yeah, Jaws! That's a good one, now lemme see what I can do...'
I also enjoyed the extreme slowmo drowning death of the cutest girl- bordered on surreal, how long it took!
And right near the end, with the last bit of gruesomness, I did actually say 'whatthefuck!!' out loud!

Next up:

image.jpeg
By ChrisMcQueen007
ScoJo wrote:Solid slasher B grade for Fall Break. The acting/dialogue was super terrible, but as promised once it go into it the red stuff flowed pretty freely. My favourite thing was the location tbh, and the fact that as soon as Jaws was referenced early on, the score consistently parodied the theme from that point forwards- as though the composer got to that point and thought 'oh yeah, Jaws! That's a good one, now lemme see what I can do...'
I also enjoyed the extreme slowmo drowning death of the cutest girl- bordered on surreal, how long it took!
And right near the end, with the last bit of gruesomness, I did actually say 'whatthefuck!!' out loud!

Would agree on the solid B grade.

Mild spoiler alert:

I watched it sometime last year together with Blood Rage (the better one out of those two imo). What bothered me a bit with Mutilator/Fall Break is that while the identity of the killer is clear more or less from the beginning they then pretended it‘s not and somehow I was then expecting a surprise twist or something at the end which didn‘t come. So the script pretends to be less stupid than it is which took away a little of the fun for me.
By ScoJo
ChrisMcQueen007 wrote:So the script pretends to be less stupid than it is which took away a little of the fun for me.

Haha, 'pretends to be less stupid than it is...' - spot on :)

Blood Rage is fully legit.
By deafmetal
#106869 @ScoJo - I will be attending a 30th Anniversary screening of NotD with Linnea Quigley attending on the 28th. Excited to watch that one with a packed house.
By ScoJo
deafmetal wrote:@ScoJo - I will be attending a 30th Anniversary screening of NotD with Linnea Quigley attending on the 28th. Excited to watch that one with a packed house.

That sounds like a hellova good time @deaf. I just hope it's not too awkward watching that endless, leering crotch shot with the actual actress in attendance - tbh, I find it awkward watching it here by myself! (not that I imagine anything bothers LQ too much tbh, she's a true exhibitionist!) I hope you get to say hi to her anyway, seems like she's still a real sweetie.
By inksb
#106880 Pretty much agree with you @Scojo on The Mutilator. My favorite part of the film is that damn theme song. The big kill was excellent but I had already known it was coming and was told the same thing that it's crazy bloody, not really. It has some good kills but when I knew the money shot I had hoped there was something else to it. Blood Rage on the other hand is one of the greatest slasher discoveries of the last 10 years for me. One thing is for sure "It's not cranberry sauce!"

I rather enjoyed this one. After all of the hype I was worried it just wouldn't live up to it. It has a bold opening that I applaud them for making, a solid mid section and a good climax (full of stupidity) and an ending that I thought was quite fitting. There are a ton of illogical choices and shit that makes zero sense in the context of the world that they set up but hey it's a movie, just let some of that shit go and enjoy the ride.

Watched both of these this weekend as well. Devilman The Birth was pretty entertaining and has a killer OST. I really need to buy Tiger Labs release. Siren The Demon Bird has better action but lacking on creature design since a majority of the run time is two fights. I would have to say now that I've seen these two and Devilman Crybaby I definitely prefer Crybaby, it's not perfect but the animation is incredible, has a great soundtrack and actually fleshes out parts of the stories that these two films completely neglect. Still they are all fun.
By Bezulsqy
#106887 The Mutilator! Have not yet seen it. Will correct this in the very near future.
I am envious of the screen time you guys have had the past week. Keep it up!
By deafmetal
#106948 Westworld S2: Finished this up recently, and feel a bit overwhelmed by some of the timeline complexity. Also, so.many.gunshots... I'm still trying to figure out if I enjoyed this season or not. I feel like I need to watch it all again from the beginning and take notes.

Sharp Objects: Jamie and I watched the first episode last night. The vibe on this one felt totally on-point to me... especially that grimy Midwest humidity. Amy Adams is mesmerizing as always. The sound design was excellent. I felt very intrigued and will be looking forward to seeing more. Jamie is a fan of the author/book, and she said the show is very well-made and respectful of the source. Anybody else checking this out? The soundtrack seemed to be in the dark ambient realm.
By Mateo Sanboval
deafmetal wrote:Westworld S2: Finished this up recently, and feel a bit overwhelmed by some of the timeline complexity. Also, so.many.gunshots... I'm still trying to figure out if I enjoyed this season or not. I feel like I need to watch it all again from the beginning and take notes.

Sharp Objects: Jamie and I watched the first episode last night. The vibe on this one felt totally on-point to me... especially that grimy Midwest humidity. Amy Adams is mesmerizing as always. The sound design was excellent. I felt very intrigued and will be looking forward to seeing more. Jamie is a fan of the author/book, and she said the show is very well-made and respectful of the source. Anybody else checking this out? The soundtrack seemed to be in the dark ambient realm.

Westworld season 2 had it's moments for me, but overall was an inferior product than the first season. It was essentially a half baked re-hash of season one and just left me flat. I'll still check out season three, but if it doesn't improve, I'll likely bail.

As to Sharp Objects, I am very interested. I don't know much about it though. Hoping for some gothic mystery action, but Mrs. Sanboval and I will be starting it this weekend.
By Hatter313
#106952 I liked season 2, but i still think season 1 was superior.

I mainlined all 4 seasons of TURN: Washington's Spies over the weekend. Highly recommended for any fans of espionage, American history, the revolutionary war etc.

It satisfied a real media hole for me, in that i don't feel that there are a lot of revolutionary war films, plenty about the continental congress, but other than The Patriot...which is not great, there's not a lot of real war films about the colonial period. This satisfied that want in a big way, it was well written, well acted, and incredibly engaging, especially after the first half of season one when things really get going. sure there are liberties, its historical fiction not a documentary, but the broad strokes are fairly accurate and nothing feels inauthentic really.

Interestingly enough you could almost see them course correcting some of their historical inaccuracies from time to time, especially in the treatment of John Graves Simcoe, who is played as a pretty ruthless and sadistic villain. the type of character you need for something like this for sure, but out of step with the likely truth given his real life actions later after the war. (although he was no saint either, just probably not quite as bloodthirsty as portrayed). The actor playing him gives off some serious Nicol Williamson vibes as well, so theres an endorsement if I ever gave one.

Anyway, I highly recommend it.
By Mateo Sanboval
Hatter313 wrote:I liked season 2, but i still think season 1 was superior.

I mainlined all 4 seasons of TURN: Washington's Spies over the weekend. Highly recommended for any fans of espionage, American history, the revolutionary war etc.

It satisfied a real media hole for me, in that i don't feel that there are a lot of revolutionary war films, plenty about the continental congress, but other than The Patriot...which is not great, there's not a lot of real war films about the colonial period. This satisfied that want in a big way, it was well written, well acted, and incredibly engaging, especially after the first half of season one when things really get going. sure there are liberties, its historical fiction not a documentary, but the broad strokes are fairly accurate and nothing feels inauthentic really.

Interestingly enough you could almost see them course correcting some of their historical inaccuracies from time to time, especially in the treatment of John Graves Simcoe, who is played as a pretty ruthless and sadistic villain. the type of character you need for something like this for sure, but out of step with the likely truth given his real life actions later after the war. (although he was no saint either, just probably not quite as bloodthirsty as portrayed). The actor playing him gives off some serious Nicol Williamson vibes as well, so theres an endorsement if I ever gave one.

Anyway, I highly recommend it.

I've never heard a thing about this and will check it out. Thanks for the review, Hatter.
By jgibbs4053
#106964 The Mutilator was filmed close to me. The director was selling a bunch of props, copies of the film, and that 7” I posted. I asked him if he had og tapes of score but he said no
By ScoJo
deafmetal wrote:
ScoJo wrote:^ That's cool! I really want that 7" ;)

Scott, he was selling them directly off Facebook. He might still have some if you want to drop him a message here:
https://www.facebook.com/Big.Insane.Ed/

Oh cheers Mark! I'm not on FB but I'm sure I can rope someone in to assist :)
By monsterworship
deafmetal wrote:Westworld S2: Finished this up recently, and feel a bit overwhelmed by some of the timeline complexity. Also, so.many.gunshots... I'm still trying to figure out if I enjoyed this season or not. I feel like I need to watch it all again from the beginning and take notes.

Im loving Sharp Objects and Succession on Sunday nights.
There haven't been many HBO shows that I haven't liked though.