A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: Little Walter, The Cult Leader, lazyben, NMA, static14, texasvinyl

By ScoJo
#106000 I'm still writing music for a big audio/visual performance (in a Gothic church!) this saturday- woken up feeling the need for some serious mojo. Since the piece is kind of a ghost story, and very textural (I'm deploying a lot of field recordings/electronics/old synths, as well as the church organ!) I just had to reach for an inspiring masterpiece. Carlos' work on (and around) this film is gold standard for eerie!

image.jpeg
By Bezulsqy
ScoJo wrote:I'm still writing music for a big audio/visual performance (in a Gothic church!) this saturday- woken up feeling the need for some serious mojo. Since the piece is kind of a ghost story, and very textural (I'm deploying a lot of field recordings/electronics/old synths, as well as the church organ!) I just had to reach for an inspiring masterpiece. Carlos' work on (and around) this film is gold standard for eerie!

image.jpeg

So happy I got to see this on the big screen a while back. Hearing that score in a modern movie theater is something else.
By Bezulsqy
#106004 On another note:
Watched the first episode of the Fourth Estate yesterday. Really interesting stuff. Score by Reznor/Ross sounds terrific as well.

Tonight taking the family to see Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom

This weekend hopefully going to check out Hereditary. That movie sounds very promising.
Last edited by Bezulsqy on Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By ScoJo
Bezulsqy wrote:
ScoJo wrote:I'm still writing music for a big audio/visual performance (in a Gothic church!) this saturday- woken up feeling the need for some serious mojo. Since the piece is kind of a ghost story, and very textural (I'm deploying a lot of field recordings/electronics/old synths, as well as the church organ!) I just had to reach for an inspiring masterpiece. Carlos' work on (and around) this film is gold standard for eerie!

image.jpeg

So happy I got to see this on the big screen a while back. Hearing that score in a modern movie theater is something else.

I dragged my GF to a screening on 35mm in the first flush of our courtship - turns out she had actually written a dissertation on the film at University! But imagine my utter shock and glee when it turned out that the print they were showing was the 'longer' US cut (with added Danny stuff and 'Blue Skeletons' scene etc) !!!! I couldn't stop smiling once I realised. Incredible big screen print experience.
By Mateo Sanboval
ScoJo wrote:
Bezulsqy wrote:

image.jpeg

I dragged my GF to a screening on 35mm in the first flush of our courtship - turns out she had actually written a dissertation on the film at University! But imagine my utter shock and glee when it turned out that the print they were showing was the 'longer' US cut (with added Danny stuff and 'Blue Skeletons' scene etc) !!!! I couldn't stop smiling once I realised. Incredible big screen print experience.

I honest to God have know idea what you are talking about. There is a longer cut?!?

EDIT: Never mind. I didn't realize the UK/EU cut was only 114 minutes. I got very excited that somehow you'd seen the heretofore unseen longer version sold at auction a few years back.
By deafmetal
Mateo Sanboval wrote:...the heretofore unseen longer version sold at auction a few years back.

Wtf? had to look this up... this?

http://www.astebolaffi.it/en/lot/754/23/detail

also crazy to see this up for sale:

http://www.astebolaffi.it/en/lot/754/24/detail

I love any and all things The Shining. I once screened the film with digital projection in the wee hours at a friend's apartment in a renovated early 1900's building that might have previously been a boarding school or some kind of institution. The hallways were all carpeted in some hideous psychedelic print that was vaguely reminiscent of the infamous carpet in the Overlook Hotel. I remember packing up and leaving at about 4:00am and walking those endless hallways in the dark silence...
By Hatter313
#106014 @deaf...That is a truly terrifying thought haha. and awesome :)
By deafmetal
#106017 There is a Horror Film Festival in Portland this weekend. I just grabbed a ticket for the NW premiere of Puppet Master: The Littlest Reich with Barbara Crampton attending and providing an intro and Q&A after the show. The film also features an original score by Fabio Frizzi! Stoked.
By ScoJo
deafmetal wrote:There is a Horror Film Festival in Portland this weekend. I just grabbed a ticket for the NW premiere of Puppet Master: The Littlest Reich with Barbara Crampton attending and providing an intro and Q&A after the show. The film also features an original score by Fabio Frizzi! Stoked.

Dude- EVERYTHING about this. You're gonna have a blast. Also- written by S.Craig Zahler, right?? The film is meant to be next-level nuts.

On a side note- is it just me, or is there another actress who is ageing as beautifully/naturally as the amazing B-Cramps?? She's a wonder
By Bezulsqy
#106022 Great story about the Shining @Deaf.
And that screening sounds brilliant. Enjoy!
By inksb
ScoJo wrote:
deafmetal wrote:There is a Horror Film Festival in Portland this weekend. I just grabbed a ticket for the NW premiere of Puppet Master: The Littlest Reich with Barbara Crampton attending and providing an intro and Q&A after the show. The film also features an original score by Fabio Frizzi! Stoked.

Dude- EVERYTHING about this. You're gonna have a blast. Also- written by S.Craig Zahler, right?? The film is meant to be next-level nuts.

On a side note- is it just me, or is there another actress who is ageing as beautifully/naturally as the amazing B-Cramps?? She's a wonder

Barbara is the universes gift to us. She is so damn beautiful.

Alright so this isn't Film but there is a new show on Amazon called Tokyo Vampire Hotel by the great Sion Sono. I watched the first episode last night and it's as fucking bug nuts as he usually is, I can't wait watch the whole thing. I love Sono.
By Bezulsqy
#106031 Finished my 24th spaghetti western and it was a treat.

Guilio Questi's 1967 Se sei vivo spara a.k.a. Django Kill... If you Live, Shoot!
Score by Ivan Vador

One review described this best:

What can be said, with reasonable certainty, is that it is one of the weirdest westerns ever made. Black shirted homosexual henchmen, a drunken parrot who doesn't just mimic but genuinely speaks, a hero who climbs out of a grave at the opening of the film, a mad woman in the attic and body full of golden bullets is just the beginning. There's also a wicked stepmother, some grave robbing and no real explaination as to how Milian's character survived being riddled with bullets in the first place. In fact the whole narrative sweeps along with little cohesion and an almost halucinagenic quality. All in all then, it sounds a bit rubbish.

Not in the least.

Django Kill is a wild and whacky ride through a sixties nightmare but it is never dull. Rather, it is its very weirdness that keeps you hanging on and, above all, smiling as the trip takes more and more bizarre turns. The characters that populate this town from hell are all played way over the top but it is absolutely right that they should. This is not a piece for underplayed subtleties. It is a no holds barred free for all where the only limits were in the budget. Once Upon a Time in the West it most surely is not. But, man, it sure is a lot of fun. And it is safe to say that they really don't make 'em like this anymore.

http://sonofdjango.blogspot.com/2007/10 ... shoot.html
By ScoJo
#106033 Now watching the shit out of...

image.jpeg

Hmm, the music in this is pretty good y'know... ;-)
By ScoJo
#106034 Straight on into another classic...

image.jpeg

Goddamit, will people stop fooling around and release Donaggio's full score on wax already??
By Bezulsqy
#106035 Great double feature @Scojo. Really need to to see Body Double again.
By deafmetal
#106049 I had a very enjoyable night out at the local horror film fest. Barbara Crampton was a lovely guest, and it was great to hear her stories about working with Charles Band and Full Moon Features back in the 80's/90's. She seems to have a genuine appreciation for horror fans. She specifically mentioned the experience of working on You're Next after a long hiatus from horror, which also included touring the indie/horror film festival circuit. She said the experience got her up to speed with the current horror scene, and she is now actively participating and producing other films. She also mentioned S. Craig Zahler quite a lot for his recent work. He was actually planning on directing Puppet Master: TLR, but decided to hand it off so he could get working on Dragged Across Concrete.

The new Puppet Master film is an over-the-top splatstick gorefest, but with the leads, including Crampton, playing it totally straight-faced with some biting and well-written dry humor. I was getting Dead Alive vibes throughout, especially on some of the more ridiculous kills, which is high praise from me. It seemed to feature a lot of real puppetry and practical effects, which was awesome to see, and it was not some CGI schlockfest. Barbara intro'd the film saying that, "this will likely offend everybody in some way". Yeah, Nazi puppets executing minority groups in the US could pass for social commentary. ;) Also included a classic Puppet Master sex scene kill, featuring an actress with a pair of tits that will strike you blind. There were a couple kills that I will say even managed to turn my stomach... yuck!

Also! Frizzi composed a wonderful main theme that is a tribute to Richard Band's original Puppet Master theme, which was appropriately credited. I enjoyed Frizzi's score for the film, which covered a lot of ground between his newer more subtly-textured dark compositions, some frolicking and lighthearted tunes in the PM style, and even managed sneak in some classic Frizzi mellotron horror in some of the scarier sections. Good times, and I recommend checking this out if it gets a theatrical run in your town (if you can stomach outlandish b-film gore!). The crowd was laughing their asses off and having a good time.

I also watched a dozen short films over the night, and one in particular blew me away:

COMPULSION was incredible! The music instantly had me riveted, and as we heard from the director after the screening, the dark and heavy synth sounds were the original inspiration to build a film around -- Canadian giallo?! This was just stunningly well-made, with minimal dialogue and a heavy focus on the sound design and pulsating electronics. The soundtrack is collaboration with the director who is in the band Waingro, and the drummer from Baptists (if you are familiar, caught them a few years back and they rip). Highly-recommended if you have a chance to see it in the wild. Supposedly, there are 50 sold-out copies of VHS tapes floating around the world as well.

Trailer: https://vimeo.com/220529095

OST: https://sigerecords.bandcamp.com/album/compulsion-ost
https://sigerecords.merchtable.com/musi ... t-cassette

Check this out!
By ScoJo
image.jpeg

Master
Fucking
Piece

Excuse the language...strongest possible terms etc etc. I am a fully paid up member of the Roeg club.

Got that sunday-after-a-performance-kinda vibe so going to rewatch this deep, extraordinary, blues-y relationship mystery/drama. Art Garfunkel has never been better (ha!)
By Bezulsqy
#106057 Thanks @Deaf for your detailed account. Very intriguing.

I am watching my 25th spaghetti western of the year.
Score by Ennio Morricone.

By ScoJo
#106060 Insanity.

image.jpeg

For weirdos like me who love Death Bed, Carnival of Souls, Messiah of Evil, Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things, Manos...you should check this out.
By Bezulsqy
#106064 @ScoJo: I am very intrigued! Will check it out.

Now halfway my spaghetti western odyssey. Number 26 is Enzo Barboni's 1970 Lo chiamavano Trinità a.k.a. The Call Me Trinity.
Bud Spencer and Terrence Hill.
Score by Franco Micallizi

By inksb
ScoJo wrote:Insanity.

image.jpeg

For weirdos like me who love Death Bed, Carnival of Souls, Messiah of Evil, Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things, Manos...you should check this out.

Was this one of the films in the Arrow boxset, American Horror Project? It sounds really familiar.

I've been so busy lately I haven't been able to watch very many films. I did get the new bluray of Death Ship last week, hoping to watch that soon. I have started Dragon Missile twice now but I keep putting it on at 1 in the morning thinking I'll finish it and I just fall asleep. It's really fun but I just can't keep my eyes open long enough to finish it. I will soon though....

By ScoJo
inksb wrote:Was this one of the films in the Arrow boxset, American Horror Project? It sounds really familiar.

That's right! Check it out, very fun.