A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: Little Walter, The Cult Leader, lazyben, NMA, static14, texasvinyl

By Bezulsqy
EvanCampbell wrote:I did a school writing assignment on why I want to be Dr. Pretorius when I grow up.
"cause you can stretch and have fun with the ladies"

Ha!
By Bezulsqy
#105137 Ichi the Killer. What a film. I have it on DVD and haven't seen it in over ten years. I bought a lot of Japanese movies in the beginning of 2000. Need to dig them out...

Yesterday I watched my 20th spaghetti western:

By inksb
#105163 Same. I was really into Japanese, Hong Kong and Korean cinema through out the 00's. Not to say I'm still not but it seems the influx of crazy films has waned. I still jump at just about anything coming out of Korea with a bit of praise. So many good thrillers and revenge films.

Ichi the Killer I haven't watched since it came out on DVD. They recently put out a new bluray from a 4K restoration in the US so I jumped on that, especially at $16. It's a fun film and honestly no where near as uncomfortable as it was when I first watched it (it's still uncomfortable) the really terrible CG and digital effects make things a little easier to stomach. Although the nipple scene still makes me cringe as well as the tongue. Not anywhere near Miike's best but a really fun one from his heyday of insanity. Gozu might be my favorite film of his.
By deafmetal
#105169 @inksb - Gozu is a great selection. I could now add to the gf/wife stories in this thread. When I first started dating Jamie many years ago, I went over to her place to watch a film, and we were deciding what to watch. After a quick run-down of Miike films I had not yet seen, we landed on Visitor Q... I honestly think I had an incorrect plot summary in my head for this one, as I am not sure why I was pushing so hard for it, but I will leave the reader to decide which to be more impressed with: the fact that we got through the entire film together and kept dating, or the fact that Jamie already had a rip of the film burned onto DVD with English subs.
By Bezulsqy
#105170 Visitor Q already burned onto DVD with subs. Damn. That is a keeper alright.
I got into a fight after watching a giallo with my girlfriend. She was wondering why Edwige Fenech was showing off her breasts constantly. If that was the reason I loved watching those movies... I took me some time to convince her it was the mystery and music that draws me to that genre...
By inksb
deafmetal wrote:@inksb - Gozu is a great selection. I could now add to the gf/wife stories in this thread. When I first started dating Jamie many years ago, I went over to her place to watch a film, and we were deciding what to watch. After a quick run-down of Miike films I had not yet seen, we landed on Visitor Q... I honestly think I had an incorrect plot summary in my head for this one, as I am not sure why I was pushing so hard for it, but I will leave the reader to decide which to be more impressed with: the fact that we got through the entire film together and kept dating, or the fact that Jamie already had a rip of the film burned onto DVD with English subs.

I love that she already had it. I actually don't like Visitor Q all that much, it was one of the few from that period that I missed during my initial discovery of Miike. I watched it last year for the first time. And while I appreciate what he was going for, some of it just seemed shock for shock and served no purpose to the story.

Bezulsqy wrote:Visitor Q already burned onto DVD with subs. Damn. That is a keeper alright.
I got into a fight after watching a giallo with my girlfriend. She was wondering why Edwige Fenech was showing off her breasts constantly. If that was the reason I loved watching those movies... I took me some time to convince her it was the mystery and music that draws me to that genre...

Nope, it has nothing to do with Edwige at all :) My wife likes to pick on me about Edwige because I will watch anything with her in it. She says I'm obsessed although she watches almost every single one of them with me. I just introduced her to the beauty of Barbara Bouchete recently with Cry of a Prostitue, Amuck! and Don't Torture A Duckling. She approves.
By deafmetal
inksb wrote:I love that she already had it. I actually don't like Visitor Q all that much, it was one of the few from that period that I missed during my initial discovery of Miike. I watched it last year for the first time. And while I appreciate what he was going for, some of it just seemed shock for shock and served no purpose to the story.

Agreed, I felt about the same after watching it, and have no plans to revisit it again. I'm looking forward to another viewing of Blade of the Immortal though!
By inksb
#105176 Miike's samurai films have been great. I loved Blade of the Immortal and thought 13 Assasins & Hara-Kiri were both fantastic.
By ScoJo
#105246 "Scott: Don't you teach 'em knife fighting. Teach 'em to kill. That way, they meet some sonofabitch who studied knife fighting ...they'll send his soul to hell."

image.jpeg

Spartan.
By static14
#105247 Honey you got all the slack in the world until I leave this room. Then I'm gonna zero you out.
By Mateo Sanboval
#105249 Do I need to know that? If I want camaraderie, I'll join the Masons.
By Bezulsqy
#105273 10 minutes before the start of the 20th anniversary screening of The Big Lebowski... together with my 18 year old girlfriend’s son who has never seen it.
By static14
#105274 @Bez wow, your 18 year old girlfriend has a son old enough to see The Big Lebowski. Babies having babies i tell ya.

:) in all seriousness i hope you guys have a blast!
By Bezulsqy
#105285 Haha. Yes, my fucking grammar.
What a blast this film still is. So cool to see it on the big screen again.
By inksb
#105300 Image
This movie had so much potential but poor writing and even worse casting doomed it to be just a mediocre film. The CG spectacle is OK at best but I was fine with that, it has a cartoonish feel that I actually enjoyed. The main actor was just awful though, he's usually decent in other roles I've seen him in but he is the most unbelievable "badass" space marine I've ever seen and he spoke in a "I AM BATMAN" voice for 90% of his dialog. The two leads had zero chemistry and I could have give a shit about their relationship, I did enjoy the actress, she was probably the one in the film who gave the best performance. It's worth a watch for free on Amazon but I wouldn't recommend paying much for it.
By Mateo Sanboval
#105309 ^^Almost certainly the worst film I've ever paid to see in a theater.
By deafmetal
Mateo Sanboval wrote:^^Almost certainly the worst film I've ever paid to see in a theater.

Haha, yeah... I took my family to this and Jamie had to bail about ten minutes in. I stuck it out with the 13yo though. I was hoping for something akin to The Fifth Element, but this did not really come close at all.
By inksb
deafmetal wrote:
Mateo Sanboval wrote:^^Almost certainly the worst film I've ever paid to see in a theater.

Haha, yeah... I took my family to this and Jamie had to bail about ten minutes in. I stuck it out with the 13yo though. I was hoping for something akin to The Fifth Element, but this did not really come close at all.

I was even willing to accept Fifth Element lite. But no that is not what we got.