A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: Little Walter, The Cult Leader, lazyben, NMA, static14, texasvinyl

By inksb
#113604 Image

This is easily the strangest Jackie Chan film I've seen, I loved it. It's so absurd, weird and frantic. This is one that I have never even heard of until Eureka released a bluray last year. Jackie playing a bit of a pervert was interesting. All of the sound effects really add to the silly comic book feel, which I have a feeling isn't very faithful to the original. I can see lots of people hating on this one, I was a little off put at first due to the highly stylized cinematography and jokey tone but eventually it won me over. And how the hell have I never seen that STREET FIGHTER 2 scene? It was pure insanity and amazing. I'm a huge SF fan, it's one of my all time favorites, seeing Jackie in Chun Li clothing was an experience I never knew I would have.
By static14
#113610 Just finished King Cohen on Shudder. A very cool doc on Larry Cohen. Well worth a watch.
By Dollarhyde
inksb wrote:Image

This is easily the strangest Jackie Chan film I've seen, I loved it. It's so absurd, weird and frantic. This is one that I have never even heard of until Eureka released a bluray last year. Jackie playing a bit of a pervert was interesting. All of the sound effects really add to the silly comic book feel, which I have a feeling isn't very faithful to the original. I can see lots of people hating on this one, I was a little off put at first due to the highly stylized cinematography and jokey tone but eventually it won me over. And how the hell have I never seen that STREET FIGHTER 2 scene? It was pure insanity and amazing. I'm a huge SF fan, it's one of my all time favorites, seeing Jackie in Chun Li clothing was an experience I never knew I would have.

Need to check out some of this Jackie Chan stuff you have been posting.

I have the og city Hunter anime, as well as the OST LPs ;)
I have only seen a few episodes at the mo and the lead character has this perverted sex pest nature which is certainly jarring, particularly in this day and age. It's as if they have tried to go for some kind of carry on/face (from the A-team/007 ladies man/womaniser but it comes of as a kind of perverted groping creep, however these antics always result in a beating or humiliation for him.

All of this aside, the rest of his character, and those in the series are great. The animation and story of what I've seen seem good too, some cool action sequences. It was also aired in France and I think Italy amongst other countries.

The ending theme comes with a fat slice of 80s cheese but I love it. This brilliantly put together fan montage containing it (which tells a bit of the city Hunter story) has had countless views from myself, often my Monday motivation music.

https://youtu.be/KHkzN41mh3E
By J.R.
#113623 I have two whole days off and no reviews in the pipeline for my website so tomorrow I'm going to be scouring my collection for appropriate trashy/ horror/ scoff films to fill the pages. Watch this space.
By Bezulsqy
#113630 Second poliziottesco is the first one from Umberto Lenzi. Score by Carlo Rustichelli.
Milano Rovente (1973)

By inksb
#113656 Image
Jackie Chan's First Strike / Police Story 4: First Strike. My memory is fuzzy but I think I actually saw this in the theaters. I know I rented it often on VHS when it came out. It's a fun film with Jackie reluctantly getting involved in a multi country espionage. I never felt the story was anything special and if I'm being honest after revisiting the film, it only has a few noteworthy fight scenes but it has some of Jackie's biggest ridiculous stunts, involving helicopters, sharks, snowmobiles and iced over lake. If you are here for the fight scenes there is one that is incredible and most people know it already, it's the ladder scene. It's so creative and a blast to watch, seeing the credits with all the "bloopers" you realize how precise Jackie had to be and if he wasn't he got hurt. Fun movie, not his best but far from his worst, it's a good mid tier HK action film.
By Mateo Sanboval
#113689 Watched The Way of the Gun tonight. I still really enjoy this film. Dated warts and all.
By Hatter313
#113707 I don’t believe in “so bad it’s good”

For me, if I like it for ANY reason, it’s good, at least subjectively.

That being said, it may just be bad.
By Bezulsqy
#113714 My third poliziottesco is Sergio Solima's second.
Revolver a.k.a. Blood in the Streets (1973)
Score by Ennio Morricone

By ChrisMcQueen007
#113715 ^^ I remember that one as being very good. Great performances by Fabio Testi and especially Oliver Reed (and love the score; quite similar to Citta Violenta, maybe even reusing some of the music or at least some of the ideas).
By inksb
#113716 From what I've seen Microwave Massacre is just bad. Not really any redeeming qualities about it. One of the few Arrow releases I had zero issue skipping over.

@bez, what did you think of mid90s and Assasination Nation? Both of those are on my "to watch" list

This was my first Jackie Chan movie. The fight scenes and stuntwork blew me away. Still do actually. My wife hasn't seen too many Jackie Chan movies and after watching this one she was like, do you have more? I said I sure do and a few other ones on their way too. I ended up ordering the Eureka bluray boxsets of Project A and Police Story and their release of Drunken Master. Hopefully I'll have them in a week or two.
By NathanLurker
#113719 I got the first 2 Jackie movies from 88 films recently and have their 2 others on pre-order. I might pick up the Eureka Drunken Master and some other ones down the line.

I don't thing I've ever seen Rumble in the Bronx, but I remember it being the first Jackie Chan movie that we got exposed to in our television network, and then previous Jackie Chan movies came to be shown, like Operation Condor, which I liked very much.

Drunken Master 2 is the best I've seen so far
By Bezulsqy
ChrisMcQueen007 wrote:^^ I remember that one as being very good. Great performances by Fabio Testi and especially Oliver Reed (and love the score; quite similar to Citta Violenta, maybe even reusing some of the music or at least some of the ideas).

It was indeed. Oliver Reed was excellent. And a fantastic score. I still need to watch Citta Violanta. Only 3 of 52 poliziotteschi in I am confident I am going to have a blast looking for the other 49...

inksb wrote:@bez, what did you think of mid90s and Assasination Nation? Both of those are on my "to watch" list

I knew nothing about mid90s. When I saw Written/Directed by Jonah Hill I was surprised. When I saw score by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross I was even more surprised. It reminded me a bit of Linklater's Slacker. But by feel not contents. I haven't seen Slacker since 1998.
The first 20 minutes or so I did not know if I was liking it or not. But that changed gradually. I ended up really liking it. Love the music in it. I was 15 in 1995 but I guess growing up in Belgium was a bit different than in the US and definitely a lot different than the broken family environment the kids in mid90s grew up. Nonetheless I felt a bit of melancholy watching this. Unlike some other recent movies set in the 80s that use to much 80s memorabilia as a style element, mid90s felt much more like a movie actually made in the mid90s.

Assassination Nation is a different animal. I am not the target audience is what I was thinking during most of that movie. I am not on social media. I have no idea or affinity with the way teenagers communicate nowadays. I am very liberal what sexual preferences and politics and whatever is concerned. I do not feel threatened being a white male :-) So all the current topics that were addressed did not really do a lot for me. But it was well made. The last 30 minutes were more my cup of tea.
In the end I do believe it is a movie very much for the times we live in and for the younguns. And I applaud more female protagonists.
Last edited by Bezulsqy on Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
By inksb
#113733 @bez, thanks for the info on those two films. That's pretty much what I was worried about with Assasination Nation, that I'm not a demographic on that. I'll still give it a watch eventually.

mid90s sounds like it's my thing though. The trailer touched on some stuff that hit right in the feels/nostalgia zone. I grew up in that area and was a skate punk hanging out with older kids doing dumb shit.

Any of you listen to horror movie podcasts? Shockwaves? Daily Dead/Corpse Club? I do, I love getting info on stuff I'm missing out, I tend to agree with at least one or two of the hosts. I've come across a strange thing though and I find it kind of interesting. Two films I watched this weekend have come up over the last month or two on both podcasts. Hellfest and Apostle.

Hellfest received glowing reviews from everyone on both podcasts that have watched it (not all the hosts did). They all talked about how it was a great modern day slasher, great kills, original idea. I hated it, I shut it off after 15 minutes and then after hearing a few of the folks on Corpse Club say they almost quit watching around the same point but stuck through it and really loved the last 2 acts of the film gave me some hope so I went back and finished it. The best way to describe this film is CW R-Rated Slasher. For those that don't know what the CW is, it's an American television network that puts out teen programming that is super stylish with the "prettiest" people they can find, regardless of acting prowess. Shows like Vampire Diaries, Arrow, The Flash, iZombie and Riverdale. The acting was awful, the characters were cookie cutter and downright irritating. The kills were not clever or even that gory, hell I've seen worse on cable TV. I felt no tension, I just wanted all the characters to die so I could stop watching the thing. I did laugh out loud at the final moments of the film [spoiler] you don't discover the killers identity, which I actually liked, but at the end you follow the killer home, he hangs up his mask next to other masks which infers he has done this at 6 other parks/events, then cuts to a little girl sleeping on the couch, slow push in with the camera, ominous tense music, the man steps into frame looking at the little girl, you only see his back, she stirs, wakes up and goes DADDY! music changes to something nice and she runs to hug him. We know he's at home, obviously that's his daughter, why would anyone think he's going to hurt his own daughter? it made no sense and seemed to be just another example of inept film making [/spoiler] So I don't recommend this unless you are really into modern slashers. I'd even recommend watching Season 2 of the show SLASHER on Netflix instead of watching this.

Now on to Apostle. I love the filmmaker, Gareth Evans, he made two of the greatest action films in the last two decades IMO, The Raid 1 & 2. I was excited to see him venture into something a little different. This film is more of a period piece about a cult living on a island, a brother trying to rescue his kidnapped sister from the cult. I thought this was great. Well shot, well acted and really interesting take on the whole cult religion sub genre. Sure you can call it derivative of Wicker Man but that's the same as saying any film that deals with some form of possession is derivative of The Exorcist. There's a bar set but that doesn't mean other films can't exist in the same sub genre. For me this one sits up there with Kill List and Wicker Man as one of the better ones (you could kind of work The Ritual into this too). The films not perfect, it's a touch too long but honestly I liked living in the world and I'm not too sure what I would cut out that wouldn't take away some character development. This is where I find it strange that the hosts on those shows generally disliked this film, so much that two of them didn't even recommend people really watch it. This film is head and shoulders above Hellfest on every level. I'm pretty sure @Nathan didn't care for this film and I'd be curious to see his thoughts on it and if he's watched Hellfest and enjoyed it. Maybe I'm just in the minority here but Apostle was a good movie with some great movements. I guess it could be expectations got in the way, not really sure but I didn't really see it on too many peoples top horror lists of 2018 and it probably would have been 9 or 10 for me.

This one was pretty enjoyable werewolf film. Great concept. Some sketchy effects. Overall had a good time watching it. We need more quality werewolf films as I feel like I give ones a pass that normally wouldn't if there were better ones to stack it up against.

Not sure if any of you are fans of Batman The Animated Series but the new bluray release is stellar. It's wonderful to see the animation in HD. I just got my set last week and I've been slowly watching episodes. It's my favorite Batman, has always been. Kevin Conroy is the voice I hear in my head when I read anything Batman related for comics.
By Bezulsqy
inksb wrote:Any of you listen to horror movie podcasts? Shockwaves? Daily Dead/Corpse Club?

No.

inksb wrote:The best way to describe this film is CW R-Rated Slasher. For those that don't know what the CW is, it's an American television network that puts out teen programming that is super stylish with the "prettiest" people they can find, regardless of acting prowess.

I ahum liked Gillmore Girls and Supernatural...

Thanks for your insights. I am skipping both of these. So much stuff to watch. Really want to see Leave No Trace and First Reformed soon. Plus 50 poliziotteschi. And still some 80s slashers. And Dune.
By J.R.
#113756 im tossing a coin between Venom and Mausoleum... depends on if I have company watching it, i guess. All the women in my house will want Venom!
By Mateo Sanboval
J.R. wrote:im tossing a coin between Venom and Mausoleum... depends on if I have company watching it, i guess. All the women in my house will want Venom!

Dude, Venom looks like a steaming pile and Mausoleum, a film I've never heard of, looks hilarious and rad. I'd have to be paralytically hungover with the remote out of reach to suffer through Venom. Whereas Mausoleum is the kind of flick I'd cook a meal for and watch sober. Easy choice.
By inksb
#113768 I have had Venom on my computer for weeks. Still have yet to hit play. It is apparently awful but I feel compelled to watch it, eventually.
By maxlevel
#113772 Don’t shoot me for this, but we are loving Lodge 49. It’s the exact opposite of our usual fare, there’s zero violence and it’s about a surfer who discovers a Masonic lodge in his town in long beach. On paper I would never, but in practice it’s really measured, well written stuff and essential. The only issue is the Magnolia type plot, it’s a low calorie PTA when you want full fat.

Also +1 for the soundtrack provided by the soundcarriers.
By inksb
#113797 Image
This one has been in my stack of blurays for about 6 months and I finally pulled it out (in the bottom third of the stack) and decided to give it a go. I love the director, Kim Jee-woon and the main actor Song Kang-ho. This was a great thriller about Japanese occupation of Seoul during the 1920's. There were some great action set pieces, excellent acting and simply beautiful cinematography. Due to the language barrier I feel that some of the nuances in the interactions and dialog were lost on me, this is a film of manipulation and espionage but that didn't take away all. If you are a fan of Korean cinema, thrillers or the director, it's highly recommended. My one gripe is that it is a little too long with a 140min run time.