A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: Little Walter, The Cult Leader, lazyben, NMA, static14, texasvinyl

By inksb
#109132 @bez why must you crush my hope for Dead Night being good?

I still need to Madhouse too, I've been meaning to grab Arrows new blu of it.
By Bezulsqy
inksb wrote:@bez why must you crush my hope for Dead Night being good?

I still need to Madhouse too, I've been meaning to grab Arrows new blu of it.

I watched it because of the relatively okay rating on rottentomatoes. I did not even release Barbara Crampton was in it.
Maybe you can stomach this one better than I did :-)

From RT:
Everything is here except the thing that matters most, a good director.

VS
With good performances, great atmosphere and plenty of gory surprises, horror fans should definitely give it a chance.
By Bezulsqy
#109215 Finished Texas Chain Saw Massacre and Texas Chainsaw Massacre Part 2.
Forgot how great number one is. And two is a lot of fun. ‘The saw is family!’
By inksb
Bezulsqy wrote:Finished Texas Chain Saw Massacre and Texas Chainsaw Massacre Part 2.

I love both films quite a bit. The first one I only watch maybe once a year or every two years as I find it an exhausting experience. Part 2 on the other hand I can watch anytime, it's no where near as good as the first but an extremely fun movie, who doesn't love Choptop.

I couldn't sleep last night so watched a few movies and then the wife work me up early this morning so I watched another one while being exhausted on the couch.

Saw this on Amazon a few weeks ago and added it to my queue as it was a Kurt Russell film I hadn't seen, or so I thought. After about 15 minutes I realized I had rented this on VHS many moons ago. Fun little flick. Nothing special but enjoyable.

I remember hating this years ago when I rented it but figured I'd give it another go as I saw a new bluray was coming out and it popped up on Amazon. I didn't hate it this time around, it's goofy, inepty directed and all around a mess. But it has some fun moments, few good gore gags and a downright silly premise.

This film always puts a smile on my face. It's my favorite Wright film as well as the best Frost/Peg film IMO. It's so absurd and fun.
By Hatter313
#109221 Hot fuzz is perfect and it gets better and better every time I watch it. I always like when I can see how much fun the actors are having, and NO ONE is having more fun in that movie than Dalton. Definitely the best of the three.
By Mateo Sanboval
#109227 Hot Fuzz is one of the funniest films I've ever seen.

Breakdown is a fun watch and Maximum Overdrive is, for me, a (barely) second tier cult flick.
By inksb
#109229 Image
Terrible acting, insane amount of gore and a fun antagonist. All the trappings of slasher, this modern take take is pretty entertaining, as long as you can get past the shit acting/overacting. Some crazy gore gags. Art the clown is really entertaining. It's on Netflix in the US for those that are mildly curious.
By maxlevel
inksb wrote:
Bezulsqy wrote:Finished Texas Chain Saw Massacre and Texas Chainsaw Massacre Part 2.

I love both films quite a bit. The first one I only watch maybe once a year or every two years as I find it an exhausting experience. Part 2 on the other hand I can watch anytime, it's no where near as good as the first but an extremely fun movie, who doesn't love Choptop.

I couldn't sleep last night so watched a few movies and then the wife work me up early this morning so I watched another one while being exhausted on the couch.

Saw this on Amazon a few weeks ago and added it to my queue as it was a Kurt Russell film I hadn't seen, or so I thought. After about 15 minutes I realized I had rented this on VHS many moons ago. Fun little flick. Nothing special but enjoyable.

I remember hating this years ago when I rented it but figured I'd give it another go as I saw a new bluray was coming out and it popped up on Amazon. I didn't hate it this time around, it's goofy, inepty directed and all around a mess. But it has some fun moments, few good gore gags and a downright silly premise.

This film always puts a smile on my face. It's my favorite Wright film as well as the best Frost/Peg film IMO. It's so absurd and fun.

@inks re: maximum overdrive. Total guilty pleasure. I also have the AC/DC soundtrack on tape. It contains next to zero original works and is a real rough listen. Again, it’s the nourishment from an apocalypse drive through but sometimes it hits the spot
By Mateo Sanboval
#109271 Image
Mrs Sanboval and I went to the cinema last evening. It was an explosive evening.

By Hatter313
Mateo Sanboval wrote:Image
Mrs Sanboval and I went to the cinema last evening. It was an explosive evening.

I saw a terribly faded, red all over, print of this a few years back for a brain tumor charity screening (love a good sense of humor haha). Even with the state of the print it was still a treat to see this on the big screen.

Hmmm, i dunno Mateo, you might have inspired me to pop the criterion blu of this in tonight, been about a year since my last viewing.
By Mateo Sanboval
#109280 I have that blu-ray, Hatter. It's a solid one. It was a great time seeing it in the theater.
By inksb
#109281 Scanners is one of my least favorite Cronenbergs but damn is that head explosion scene one of the greatest scenes ever. The wife and I try to keep a dedicated movie night once a week where we both sit down and watch something. Sometimes we set up themes for a month and sometimes we go through a directors filmography. We went through Cronenbergs films a few years ago and it was a blast.
By Mateo Sanboval
inksb wrote:Scanners is one of my least favorite Cronenbergs

By inksb
ScoJo wrote:I, Madman[/attachment]

Jenny Wright and stop motion.

*two thumbs up*

This was one of those films I never saw at all and had never heard about until Scream Factory put out a bluray of it. It's excellent and a film that seems to be slept on a little too much by the horror community.

Mateo Sanboval wrote:

I would rather watch the following films over Scanners any day of the week.
The Fly
Videodrome
The Brood
The Dead Zone
Rabid
Shivers
Crash
eXistenZ
Dead Ringers
Naked Lunch
A History of Violence
Eastern Promises
Cosmopolis (I'm weird I actually really like this one from his later period)

That only leaves Fast Company, Maps to the Stars, M. Butterfly, Spider and A Dangerous Method as films that I like less than Scanners. Pretty clearly one of lowest on the totem pole for me. That's not to discredit the movie, it's very well made, I just find it a little boring and has a very uninteresting lead. So outside of the cool effects in the movie I don't really care to watch it all that much. Just me though.
By deafmetal
inksb wrote:

*two thumbs up*

This was one of those films I never saw at all and had never heard about until Scream Factory put out a bluray of it. It's excellent and a film that seems to be slept on a little too much by the horror community.

A friend of mine found this gem on VHS back in the day to the utter delight of myself and our roommates. We affectionately named the stop-motion creature the Mangoose for some unknown reason. The film was such a hit that I remember all of us running around for weeks growling "I, Madman" at each other. Haha, good times.
By Mateo Sanboval
inksb wrote:
Mateo Sanboval wrote:

I would rather watch the following films over Scanners any day of the week.
The Fly
Videodrome
The Brood
The Dead Zone
Rabid
Shivers
Crash
eXistenZ
Dead Ringers
Naked Lunch
A History of Violence
Eastern Promises
Cosmopolis (I'm weird I actually really like this one from his later period)

That only leaves Fast Company, Maps to the Stars, M. Butterfly, Spider and A Dangerous Method as films that I like less than Scanners. Pretty clearly one of lowest on the totem pole for me. That's not to discredit the movie, it's very well made, I just find it a little boring and has a very uninteresting lead. So outside of the cool effects in the movie I don't really care to watch it all that much. Just me though.

Oh my. You'll have to take this up with Mr. McGoohan directly. Please hold...

Seriously, though, I'm particularly fond of Scanners for myriad reasons, but I suspect it's due in no small part to the fact that I am a big fan of atmosphere when it comes to film. And Scanners has a thick stripe of that down its back. Perhaps moreso than story. In two weeks a keen eyed movie pal and myself are going to begin watching Cronenberg from stem to stern so I'll update here as I go. Both for anyone interested and to help myself keep track.
By ScoJo
deafmetal wrote:
inksb wrote:

*two thumbs up*

A friend of mine found this gem on VHS back in the day to the utter delight of myself and our roommates. We affectionately named the stop-motion creature the Mangoose for some unknown reason. The film was such a hit that I remember all of us running around for weeks growling "I, Madman" at each other. Haha, good times.

LOVE this Mark! <3 <3 <3
By Bezulsqy
#109332 Lucio Fulci's Warriors of the Year 2072.

I am loving these post-apocalypse flicks from the eighties. And this one has an excellent score by Riz Ortolani.
By inksb
#109333 Where are you watching that film Bez? Streaming, DVD? It's one of the few Fulci films I haven't seen. I know in the US Troma had the DVD rights and it was a terrible copy.
By Bezulsqy
inksb wrote:Where are you watching that film Bez? Streaming, DVD? It's one of the few Fulci films I haven't seen. I know in the US Troma had the DVD rights and it was a terrible copy.

Streaming. (from my personal computer ;-) )
PM me of you want to check it out.
By Mateo Sanboval
Bezulsqy wrote:Lucio Fulci's Warriors of the Year 2072.

I am loving these post-apocalypse flicks from the eighties. And this one has an excellent score by Riz Ortolani.

Never seen this one, Bez, but I, too, enjoy these flicks.