A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: Little Walter, The Cult Leader, lazyben, NMA, static14, texasvinyl

By Bezulsqy
#104528 My 16th spaghetti western is the only true sequel of Django: Nello Rossati's 1987 Django 2: il grande ritorno a.k.a. Django Strikes Again

From the spaghetti western DB:
Django was a successful and highly influential "spaghetti western," spawning over 30 pseudo-sequels that borrowed the name and the main character's bloodthirsty ways, but Django 2: Il Grande Ritorno (aka Django Strikes Again) was the first follow-up to feature Franco Nero reprising the title role from the original film, and the only one made with the participation of the director of Django, Sergio Corbucci (though only in an advisory capacity.) In this story, Django (Franco Nero) has spent a decade in a monastery, trying to live down his violent past as a gunman. However, Django is forced to renounce his vows when word gets back to him that a villainous slave trader, Orlowsky (Christopher Connelly), has kidnapped his daughter. Enraged and determined to bring the abductors to justice, Django digs up his old Gatling gun (literally - he had buried it in a graveyard, under a headstone with the name "Django" on it) and once again begins cutting a swath through the countryside as he seeks to free his daughter.
By Bezulsqy
#104541 ^ watched that one for the first time a couple of months ago. Loved it.
By ChrisMcQueen007
Bezulsqy wrote:^ watched that one for the first time a couple of months ago. Loved it.

Yes, it‘s surprisingly good, given e.g. the low ratings on imdb. It‘s got great atmosphere (a little seedy which is perfect for the subject matter), solid performances, an early, rather understated Fidel score which works well - and some effective and skillfully filmed kills.

Edit: Meant Fiedel of course.
Last edited by ChrisMcQueen007 on Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
By ScoJo
ChrisMcQueen007 wrote:
Bezulsqy wrote:^ watched that one for the first time a couple of months ago. Loved it.

Yes, it‘s surprisingly good, given e.g. the low ratings on imdb. It‘s got great atmosphere (a little seedy which is perfect for the subject matter), solid performances, an early, rather understated Fidel score which works well - and some effective and skillfully filmed kills.

New to me.

I'm all over this like cheap wallpaper.

Cheers!!
By ScoJo
#104682 Watching Blow Out.

For the hundredth time.

Fucking masterpiece.

My hungover gf wandered in during the Dennis Franz/hotel argument/Johnny Walker-head-bash scene and offered 'I love this film! That lighting is amazing, and look at that shot!' and followed with 'is that Bonnie Langford??'

Thereby managing to both cover in glory/disgrace herself all at once.

Seriously- Blow Out. What an incredible film. And Bonnie has never been more adorable.
By inksb
#104684 Damn straight, BLOW OUT is a fucking masterpiece. I put it off for many years and finally picked it up on bluray from Criterion. I watched it three times in the first week I owned it.
By ScoJo
inksb wrote:Damn straight, BLOW OUT is a fucking masterpiece. I put it off for many years and finally picked it up on bluray from Criterion. I watched it three times in the first week I owned it.

^ This guy = Gets it
By maxlevel
#104698 Talking of recording effects and foley for the the big screen, what a wonderful job the Quiet Place team have done. The footsteps on the sandy paths are so well created you might be right there with them. There’s a few scenes where they even emphasised the led bulbs in the torches!

Watch Blow Out and then Quiet Place in the biggest cinema you can find, preferably with dolby atmos
By ScoJo
maxlevel wrote:Talking of recording effects and foley for the the big screen, what a wonderful job the Quiet Place team have done. The footsteps on the sandy paths are so well created you might be right there with them. There’s a few scenes where they even emphasised the led bulbs in the torches!

Watch Blow Out and then Quiet Place in the biggest cinema you can find, preferably with dolby atmos

Rgr that, @maxman!
By inksb
#104724 Image

Last nights viewing, which was a first time for me. I loved it and Arrow's blu sports a very filmic transfer. Really glad I grabbed it from their last sale.
By Bezulsqy
#104725 ^ love that movie. Only saw that one for the first time last year. Brilliant film.

I just finished watching my 18th spaghetti western and it was a terrific one. Sergio Corbucci's Johnny Oro aka

By inksb
#104750 Love Brawl and Night of the Creeps. You can't beat Tom Atkins.

@chrismcqueen007 Brawl is a film that not every one will like, it plays with the prison/exploitation genre's a little bit, logic is not something that can be used in the movie, the plot moves along at decent pace but the in world time line is so unbelievable you have to just roll with it. Vaughn gives a career best performance and the last half is truly brutal. The director also made Bone Tomahawk.
By Bezulsqy
ChrisMcQueen007 wrote:
static14 wrote:Killing it @Bez

Great run, Bez! Have not seen Brawl yet, how did you like it?

Not what I was expecting... But in a good way. As Inksb mentioned it has some flaws. But overal it is a movie you will not forget. It is much slower as expected. Less fighting than I expected. But the violence is brutal. Vaughn is brilliant. In the end it is one to watch. The last part is insane.
By deafmetal
#104759 Speaking of Bone Tomahawk, I just read that Craig Zahler also wrote the script for Puppet Master: The Littlest Reich, which is screening at the Overlook Film Festival right now, and it was also just revealed that Fabio Frizzi wrote the original score for the film.