A place for you to talk about movies / Blu Rays and anything related.

Moderators: Little Walter, The Cult Leader, lazyben, NMA, static14, texasvinyl

By Bezulsqy
#101896 Had to search a bit more.
There is an Italian UHD version that uses the same master as the Cultfilm one.
The cheaper one disc is this: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Suspiria- ... ay/193389/

According to the allknowing people on the BR forum it has English language track and subs. But does not have the 4.0 audio from synapse. Image wise one thinks it is a tiny bit better than the Synapse BR because of more detail. Others think the synapse is better: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=295204

Anyways, I cancelled my order because that cultfilm BR has no added value next to my Synapse version.
By static14
#101898 @Bez I'm gonna do the same and stick with the synapse release. It really does look fantastic.
By Bezulsqy
#101901 ^ still need to start with that one.

Yesterday I also watched Django (1966) for the first time. Brilliant! And that theme song! This year I am going to try and watch one spaghetti western a week. So far I have seen three. So I can skip a week sometimes :-)

By ScoJo
#101907 Somewhat sideways to this thread (but relevant...)

Yesterday I saw GLENGARRY GLEN ROSS at the Playhouse Theatre in London West End. Cast included Christian Slater, Don Warrington (!! Rising Damp!) and a young dude from Love Actually.

And it was fucking brilliant. Slater played Ricky Roma, and as you can imagine he was incredible and utterly magnetic. What an amazing actor! I actually have a funny little '6 degrees...' story which I'll relate later if anyone wants it.

What I either didn't realise (or had forgotten) is that Mamet's play is only acts two and three of the movie. Re-watching this morning, the entire opening/Baldwin character and sales conference scene was ADDED FOR THE SCREENPLAY. Whaaah??!

I know that DM has become bizarrely anti-liberal/neo-Con in recent years, but fuck me - THAT is the definition of making a short-ish, brilliant play into a absolutely genius movie. He should have received all the screenplay awards/Oscar to add to his Pulitzer in 1993.
By ScoJo
Jimmy_Mike wrote:Give us the goods

You old arm-twister!

Ok. Back in the 90's, Slater was either appearing on stage or shooting a movie in the Uk. He was trying to stay away from 'bad influences' (as it were) and consequently wanted to stay out of London for the duration.

How do I know this? Because somehow he ended up staying with my gf's aunt (a big time literary agent) at the family home in rural Oxfordshire.

On a country walk one afternoon, Slater stopped and pointed at something in the field, asking 'what's that'.

My gf's aunt told him, 'Christian, that's a sheep dear boy!'

He had never seen one!

(Now some people I have told this to have trouble believing in it's veracity, but not me - I imagine he's a child of the movie bizz/LA after all. I find it actually very believable, and actually pretty adorable for some reason)
By Jimmy_Mike
#101912 I believe, Sco.

I'll dig out my Gary Busey story some day for you gents. David Carradine and Ron Jeremy make a cameo too.
By static14
#101914 Bull Jive! @Jimmy lay that story on us.
By Jimmy_Mike
#101930 Look to my coming, at first light, on the fifth day. At dawn, look to the East.
By maxlevel
#102022 Someone at work was on about glengarry glen ross recently at the playhouse. Keep getting whiffs of it...

Started on Unabomber this week. Can’t help but be bored after mindhunter, and yet it’s also quite nicely put together.

Slightly related, I was told over Christmas anecdotally that Netflix do not allow errors, like continuity errors or sound/lighting mistakes in their 4K stuff. They go through everything they produce frame by frame to eliminate any! Which I thought was odd, but their content does seem squeaky clean.
By ScoJo
#102085 Would you believe I've never seen Hot Shots Part Deux??

2mins in - Miguel Ferrer and Basil Poledouris! Nice!
By Dollarhyde
#102089 @ScoJo nice! Enjoy.

Over here..
its about to happen again...

I've carefully kept myself blinkered on all things twin peaks third season, not seen or heard a squit about it. I got the series three box set for Christmas.
Already watched part 1 and fuck me is this good. I love you David lynch!!! :D
Attachments
_20180113_230640.JPG
By Hatter313
#102090 Good luck
By Dollarhyde
#102097 I'm going to meter it out, fortunately my 1 year old is going to restrict me from binging.
I Won't spoil it for anyone else. It's so great to Have a TV show that devours your full attention. The Blu ray seems to be marvellous in everyway, box included.
By chiefbrody
#102102 @dollar, enjoy. No spoiler whatsoever, but it's rare that a TV series makes you want to immediately watch the whole thing again, but s3 did exactly that. In fact, I fully confident I'll enjoy s3 much more when I pick up the BR.

Managed to talk my wife into watching Good Time last night (eye candy helped). Enjoyed it, I thought it had some nice touches and I like films 'structured' like that (not giving anything away). I've failed to be blown away by the score, but it was integral to the film. Still not sure it translates into a great standalone listen, but I'll give it another shot.

Watched Creep 2 on Friday night. I enjoyed the first one enough - didn't love it - but couldn't quite get into 2. Started strongly with dark, awkward, comedy horror, but it felt like most of the impact was taken away by the first film.

Possibly the remainder of John Wick 2 tonight...