General vinyl talk here.

Moderators: Little Walter, The Cult Leader, lazyben, NMA, static14, texasvinyl

By Dollarhyde
#104930 @deaf, amazing album
Now spinning
Uneven Paths: Deviant Pop from Europe 1980-1991
Released on Music from Memory

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Uneven- ... e/11610234

Stumbled across this comp by chance and it has been getting a lot of TT time. I can see this being my comp of the year. Brilliantly curated selection of left field indie pop, each with its own interesting twist on 'pop'. Not necessarily a summation of European deviant pop, but rather a brilliant selection of amazing tunes. I guess you could say it has a summery vibe going on, imo anyway.
Brilliant package (with notes) and nice sounding vinyl for a comp, only downside is no DDL included with the record.
Some clips are up on SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/music-from-memor ... -1980-1991
Attachments
IMG_20180428_215633_HDR.jpg
By texasvinyl
#105453 Image

I wish I could say this record was everything I hoped it would be and more. It's...ok. Maybe two or three tracks are on the level of the original album, and a few are pretty bad. Sadly the vocals are the weakest part. Q-Berts still got it for sure though, dude has mad skills.
By texasvinyl
#105454 Image

Theres old grey with a dove wing hat. Theres old green with her sewing machine. Where's the Bob and ebb. She's totin old grain in a printed sack. The dust blows far and the dust blows back. And the wind blows black through the sky, and the smokestack blows up in the suns eye. When am i gonna die. A white flake riverboat just blew by. Bubbles pop big, and a lipstick Kleenex hung on a pointed forked twig, reminds me of the Bobby girls, never was my hobby girls, handful of worms and a pole fishin, cork bobbin like a hot red bulb, and a bluejay squeaks his beak open an inch above a creek. Gone fishin for a week while I put down my bush and I took off my pants and felt free..the breeze blowin up me and up the canyon far as I can see. It's night now and the moon looks like a dandelion. It's black now and the blackbirds feeding on rice and his red wings look like diamonds and lice. I can hear the mice toes scamperin gophers rumblin and pile crater rock holes. One red bean stuck in the bottom of a tin bowl. Hot coffee from a crimped up can. Me and my girl named bimbo. Limbo. Spam.

Ok so I'm pretty excited about the third man records vault release shipping soon. Ready to see whether jack white did it justice.
By Mateo Sanboval
texasvinyl wrote:Image

I wish I could say this record was everything I hoped it would be and more. It's...ok. Maybe two or three tracks are on the level of the original album, and a few are pretty bad. Sadly the vocals are the weakest part. Q-Berts still got it for sure though, dude has mad skills.

I haven't listened to this yet, Tex, and you're not making me regret that decision right now. I've long feared that this would be like many of Automator's sequels and fall a bit (or a lot) short of the original's mark. Automator could do no wrong for a spell. Dr Octagon. Bombay the Hard Way. Handsome Boy Modeling School. Deltron. Loveage. What a run! Sadly the follow-ups, where they exist, just don't cut the muster. I'll get around to the Octagon sequel eventually, but I'm not in any rush.
By inksb
Mateo Sanboval wrote:I haven't listened to this yet, Tex, and you're not making me regret that decision right now. I've long feared that this would be like many of Automator's sequels and fall a bit (or a lot) short of the original's mark. Automator could do no wrong for a spell. Dr Octagon. Bombay the Hard Way. Handsome Boy Modeling School. Deltron. Loveage. What a run! Sadly the follow-ups, where they exist, just don't cut the muster. I'll get around to the Octagon sequel eventually, but I'm not in any rush.

He had a good run, better than most but like a lot of aging artists, returning to what made you popular in the first place to counteract waning interest doesn't really work that well (unless you are Raekwon who killed it with OB4CLpt2 and followed up with a pretty good album after that but has since fallen off again). I dread a lot of projects that are supposedly coming in near future, Madvilliany 2 (if it ever comes), Supreme Clientele 2 (Ghost hasn't had a good album since Killer Fish) Liquid Swords 2, Black Star's follow up (Mos has been pretty far off the mark since The Ecstatic, while Kweli has been consistently mediocre since Revolutions Per Minute, never awful but never great)
By Mateo Sanboval
inksb wrote:
Mateo Sanboval wrote:I haven't listened to this yet, Tex, and you're not making me regret that decision right now. I've long feared that this would be like many of Automator's sequels and fall a bit (or a lot) short of the original's mark. Automator could do no wrong for a spell. Dr Octagon. Bombay the Hard Way. Handsome Boy Modeling School. Deltron. Loveage. What a run! Sadly the follow-ups, where they exist, just don't cut the muster. I'll get around to the Octagon sequel eventually, but I'm not in any rush.

He had a good run, better than most but like a lot of aging artists, returning to what made you popular in the first place to counteract waning interest doesn't really work that well (unless you are Raekwon who killed it with OB4CLpt2 and followed up with a pretty good album after that but has since fallen off again). I dread a lot of projects that are supposedly coming in near future, Madvilliany 2 (if it ever comes), Supreme Clientele 2 (Ghost hasn't had a good album since Killer Fish) Liquid Swords 2, Black Star's follow up (Mos has been pretty far off the mark since The Ecstatic, while Kweli has been consistently mediocre since Revolutions Per Minute, never awful but never great)

All fair points excepting that Ghostface has definitely put out some killer records post-Fishscale. Most notably the Twelve Reasons To Die series with Adrian Younge and Apollo Brown. Sour Soul was good, too. Also, GZA just did a Tiny Desk concert and it was excellent so maybe there's hope there after all.
By inksb
Mateo Sanboval wrote:All fair points excepting that Ghostface has definitely put out some killer records post-Fishscale. Most notably the Twelve Reasons To Die series with Adrian Younge and Apollo Brown. Sour Soul was good, too. Also, GZA just did a Tiny Desk concert and it was excellent so maybe there's hope there after all.

While I do think 12 Reasons and Sour Soul are his best post Killer Fish output, they are not on the same level lyrically and neither of albums would be anything worth noting if the production wasn't fantastic. And out of all the artist I listed GZA has the most promise as he has always been a great lyricist and most of my issues with his albums post Liquid Swords were production based. I do hope his sequel is on the same level. That Tiny Desk was so great, he looked really uncomfortable (like why's this room of hipster white people staring at me) for the first song but he relaxed and delivered one of the best Tiny Desks I've seen in a while.

edit: Also Ghost usually has a few decent songs on each album, even if they overall are not great. 36 Seasons has a few decent one's I revisit occasionally.
By Mateo Sanboval
#105476 @Inks - For me, there is no good hip hop without good production so even if an exceptional emcee like Ghostface lay some savage freestyle flow over standard beats, I would appreciate the lyrical dexterity, but likely wouldn't revisit it. In any event, Twelve Reasons remains one of my favorite GK LPs. Nice to have a little hip hop discourse every once in a while.

@James Michael - A sterling selection.
By bpwlogan
texasvinyl wrote:Image

Ok so I'm pretty excited about the third man records vault release shipping soon. Ready to see whether jack white did it justice.

I'm looking forward to your review on this one texas. I wonder what kind of release the Zappa Family Trust will eventually permit for Decals ? I almost picked up this TMR reissue because I believe this will have the best cover art of any edition out there.
By Bezulsqy
#105635 I used to listen a lot to Aphex Twin and the analogue bubblebath eps. Mostly on CD at that time. I had some stuff on vinyl. But I lost it to someone I think. I need to revisit it all though.