Talk about films scores here.

Moderators: Little Walter, The Cult Leader, lazyben, NMA, static14, texasvinyl

By Mateo Sanboval
NathanLurker wrote:Image

So, compared to the AMS release from 2011. the new expanded Waxwork edition of Inferno has ONE additional track, which comprises the whole side D, titles "Inferno Outakes Suite". Let's see how this turns out.

Standing by for your review.
By NathanLurker
#110265 Well, Mateo, side D is approximately 10 minutes of cues that are arranged in a suite, starting with an alternate version of the closing track "Cigarettes, Ices, Etc." which I very much like, I think it's one of the best track along with the vocal Mater Tenebrarum track. The alternate version is not unlike the original version. The rest of the suite feels full enough, it doesnt feel like filler tracks to me, but I have to say that the whole Inferno score is chaotic and changing and I don't have a clear enough grasp of all the themes and motifs in there to recognise if the suite has a lot of differences with the original tracks, but I can say the suite flows nicely, I felt it was a nice addition to the soundtrack it's not a repetitive collection of cues.

---

I'm now almost done spinning this. I think Blair Witch, the movie, is a bit of a failure, in the way some characters act. I thought that the ending fails, because the final character acts in a way that doesn't make sense at all. A shame, because otherwise, there were some great ideas in there. I liked the way they treated the witch and time. I wanted to like it more. Anyway, this is a FINE sound design type, wooshing, moody dread score to play as background music for halloween.

By Mateo Sanboval
NathanLurker wrote:Well, Mateo, side D is approximately 10 minutes of cues that are arranged in a suite, starting with an alternate version of the closing track "Cigarettes, Ices, Etc." which I very much like, I think it's one of the best track along with the vocal Mater Tenebrarum track. The alternate version is not unlike the original version. The rest of the suite feels full enough, it doesnt feel like filler tracks to me, but I have to say that the whole Inferno score is chaotic and changing and I don't have a clear enough grasp of all the themes and motifs in there to recognise if the suite has a lot of differences with the original tracks, but I can say the suite flows nicely, I felt it was a nice addition to the soundtrack it's not a repetitive collection of cues.

Thank you, Brother Nathaniel. Information like this is what keeps STBC a vital corner of the World Wide Web. Chin chin!
By Hatter313
NathanLurker wrote:Well, Mateo, side D is approximately 10 minutes of cues that are arranged in a suite, starting with an alternate version of the closing track "Cigarettes, Ices, Etc." which I very much like, I think it's one of the best track along with the vocal Mater Tenebrarum track. The alternate version is not unlike the original version. The rest of the suite feels full enough, it doesnt feel like filler tracks to me, but I have to say that the whole Inferno score is chaotic and changing and I don't have a clear enough grasp of all the themes and motifs in there to recognise if the suite has a lot of differences with the original tracks, but I can say the suite flows nicely, I felt it was a nice addition to the soundtrack it's not a repetitive collection of cues.

---

I'm now almost done spinning this. I think Blair Witch, the movie, is a bit of a failure, in the way some characters act. I thought that the ending fails, because the final character acts in a way that doesn't make sense at all. A shame, because otherwise, there were some great ideas in there. I liked the way they treated the witch and time. I wanted to like it more. Anyway, this is a FINE sound design type, wooshing, moody dread score to play as background music for halloween.

Agreed, I like Blair with when I imagine the potential it could have realized. It had some great stuff in it, but overall I just felt like it could have gone more places. I do love that score release though.
By inksb

---

Thanks for the review on Inferno! Much appreciated.

I can't remember the score to Blair Witch. I went to that film and began to feel physically uncomfortable, went to the bathroom and discovered blood in my piss. I finished the movie (no idea why) and decided to try to go home only to be presented with the feeling of some one stabbing knives into my lower back, which in turn forced me to go to the hospital. Kidney stone. Worst experience in my life. That will always be my memory of the Blair Witch.
By tim28212
#110299 I know absolutely nothing about this movie but it's on the VS lable and @static owns it. Good enough for me. And I must say I think "Berlin Game' is a pseudonym for Tangerine Dream :)
Down Twisted - Berlin Game
Varèse Sarabande ‎– STV 81305
By tim28212
#110302 Star Trek: Nemesis -Jerry Goldsmith
Varese Sarabande – 302 066 412 2

The vinyl is pretty quiet but it's pressed off-center so on the occasional long drawn out strings I can hear the warble, especially as the arm gets closer to the center. I figure the entire run is most likely this way, so I'm not sure there's a point in returning it. In spire of this it still may sound better than GoM.

Last edited by tim28212 on Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By inksb
#110310 Blackcoat's Daughter (or the original and substantially better title, February) has a fantastic score. It's haunting. I never picked it up on vinyl, I wonder if I can still find a copy.
By ScoJo
NathanLurker wrote:Image

Great little gem.

Agreed. Up there with my favourite Mondo of the past few. Definitely hasn't had enough love (if you like really beautifully eerie, carefully crafted horror scores)
By Hatter313
NathanLurker wrote:I'm glad you both also think so. It might be considered a minor title, but it's a gem. I also think the same of ''The Invitation'' and ''Darling''

all three scores and all three movies are great IMO, I had the pleasure of seeing Darling at my local Alamo with the actress in attendance. They made that movie over a weekend simply because She was dog sitting for the owner of the house and thought it would make a great location. i think it's a really solid indie, with an always smile inducing Fassenden cameo ( i love that his hair is sticking out under his policemen's hat)
By inksb
Hatter313 wrote:
all three scores and all three movies are great IMO

I agree with this as well. Darling is like a modern take on Repulsion (Mickey Keating is a great up and coming director). The Invitation is such a striking and haunting film, it's such a shame that Karyn Kusama essentially was put in Director's jail after Aeon Flux failure and Jennifer's Body not performing to expectations (this one isn't as terrible as I had thought it would be). Her work on The Invitation and XX is fantastic. And The Blackcoat's Daughter struck such a chord with me, I loved it. I liked Oz's follow up I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives In the House, it was a beautifully shot ghost story. I can't wait to see what he does next.
By NathanLurker
inksb wrote:
Hatter313 wrote:
all three scores and all three movies are great IMO

I agree with this as well. Darling is like a modern take on Repulsion (Mickey Keating is a great up and coming director). The Invitation is such a striking and haunting film, it's such a shame that Karyn Kusama essentially was put in Director's jail after Aeon Flux failure and Jennifer's Body not performing to expectations (this one isn't as terrible as I had thought it would be). Her work on The Invitation and XX is fantastic. And The Blackcoat's Daughter struck such a chord with me, I loved it. I liked Oz's follow up I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives In the House, it was a beautifully shot ghost story. I can't wait to see what he does next.

I was a little less impressed by '' I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives In the Houss'' because it's less intense, a bit more light, but I appreciate how it's basicaly ''rural gothic / horror'' poetry on a film medium. very minimal, ambient, beautiful, but maybe not intense enough for me. I like it, I don't love it. The Invitation, is great, and it's better if you don't know anything about it beforehand, except that it's a intimist drama/thriller. I recommended it to my friends who aren't big Horror hounds and they loved it. Great characters, great interactions, recommended.

Mateo Sanboval wrote:Jesus, I have some spooky movies to catch up on.

Please do catch up Mathias.
By inksb
#110361 I completely understand the not loving or even disliking I Am the Pretty Thing... it's not really a standard horror film, like you said it's more "rural gothic" ghost story. I loved how simple and beautiful it felt. I knew ahead of time that it wasn't really a horror film so maybe my expectations were in a little bit different place. And yeah The Invitation is best to be seen with little to no knowledge of what it is . It's the type of film that you can recommend to people who are not into horror and they will probably dig it.

@Matteo, I haven't checked in a little while but The Invitation was on Netflix, Blackcoats Daughter is on Prime and Darling is a cheap rental. All worth checking out. And if rural gothic sounds good to you I Am the Pretty Thing is also on Netflix.
By Hatter313
#110368 The way I described I am the pretty thing...to my friends was “literally nothing happens, I don’t even know if there was a real ghost, I’m not sure what anything meant, there was little to no dialogue or plot, and I sat at the edge of my couch clutching the ends of my blanket and was thoroughly and completely gripped from beginning to end and had trouble turning the lights off later”

It’s all atmosphere and probably couldn’t hold up to repeated viewing, but I was completely engaged when I watched it.