Talk about films scores here.

Moderators: Little Walter, The Cult Leader, lazyben, NMA, static14, texasvinyl

By inksb
NathanLurker wrote:I never watched the Ghosts of Mars movie, and never listened to it's music. So I went to stream the songs earlier today, while doing something else, and I can't say I'm completely sold on it, but I got fear of missing out and in any case I need it for the Carpenter collection, so I ordered a copy.

Ghosts of Mars could have been great but too low of a budget, weird casting of Ice Cube (and his orange camo pants) marred the film. I like the story, while not overly original, if it was executed better I think we would have a better opinion of it. The soundtrack is interesting, not top tier Carpenter but the completionist in me needs this in my collection (plus I like some it)
By deafmetal
NathanLurker wrote:I never watched the Ghosts of Mars movie, and never listened to it's music. So I went to stream the songs earlier today, while doing something else, and I can't say I'm completely sold on it, but I got fear of missing out and in any case I need it for the Carpenter collection, so I ordered a copy.

You could screen the film and read through the forum sync chat thread, haha. I missed that screening as well, but I caught Ghosts of Mars way back in the day. I remember being really excited about the film when I heard that Brom had been hired to help with the art design (he did all that great 90's-era Dark Sun D&D campaign art), but it was a big disappointment for me. The film score has grown on me over the years, and @ScoJo's unending enthusiasm has helped that along even more. I agree that this album is required for Carpenter collections though. It was the last film he both composed and directed, right?
By deafmetal
NathanLurker wrote:I love 'Brom'. I had a deck of the ''DARK AGE'' card game when I was a teenager. I bought that game solely based on the artwork of the cards.

Nice, I've been a fan of Brom for decades. I don't feel that GoM was a great representation of his art design though. I have had the opportunity to talk to him at book signings here in Portland, and he's very approachable and generous with his fans. I asked him how the experience was working with John Carpenter and the crew on the film, and if he would be interested in doing something like again. He seemed positive about the whole experience, and said he would be up for it if asked.
By Mateo Sanboval
ScoJo wrote:
static14 wrote:
tim28212 wrote:this was pasted in a Facebook group I belong too. Can't find anything else.

Shpe Of Water

About damn time :)

Paul Simon's THE SHAPE OF WATER. Cannae wait.

:D

"Arrre you going to...sleep with a fish?"
By ScoJo
#107719 Holy shit.

This is the most exciting thing I've posted here for a long while. I'm almost shaking with excitement giving you guys the scoop on this.

Full disclosure - my label had literally just started looking into putting this out ourselves - what took so long? I just couldn't believe that if it was possible to do so, someone hadn't done it already. Just didn't make ANY sense to me at all, so I stupidly assumed that it was impossible for whatever reason (master tapes, rights issues, probs with either director or composers estate...)

DAUGHTERS OF DARKNESS is finally coming, my fiends....!!

Les Levres Rouges (if you will), one of the greatest vampire scores of all time, to one of the very best European vampire films. Until know, only a two track Barclay EP from '71 had ever been released, and was highly sought.

Well, a FULL ALBUM of unreleased soundtrack cues is coming in September from Music on Vinyl (Yes!!) with tapes provided by director Harry Kumel and De Roubaix's family. I can't even begin to explain how thrilling these words are to me.

Here's a recent comment from Discogs:

patchou_be July 21, 2018
COMING SOON...there will be a - complete - remastered LP reissue presented at the Filmfestival Oostende in September 2018 (near to 'les dunes d'Ostende'...With the help from Harry Kümel (director - for the original tapes!) and Patricia/Benjamin de Roubaix (for their gratitude...)

Here's a product page from a German site, with full tracklisting (18 tracks!):

http://bilborecords.be/daughters-darkness-ost-francois-de-roubaix-red-vinyl-lp?language=en

I discovered all this through browsing Amazon's upcoming vinyl OSTs....it pays to be vigilant!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Daughters-Darkness-180-LP-Vinyl/dp/B07G2WFF3M/ref=sr_1_16?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1533837065&sr=1-16&keywords=soundtrack+vinyl&refinements=p_n_binding_browse-bin%3A382539011

I'm going for a lie down. Holy shitballs.
By NathanLurker
#107720 I have no idea what it sounds like, but it's most likely something I want to get, so thanks for the Heads up Scojo. the movie played last year at one of our local theater and I couldn't go. Sounds like I missed a good opportunity, seing how excited you are for this.
By ScoJo
NathanLurker wrote:I have no idea what it sounds like, but it's most likely something I want to get, so thanks for the Heads up Scojo. the movie played last year at one of our local theater and I couldn't go. Sounds like I missed a good opportunity, seing how excited you are for this.

By ChrisMcQueen007
#107724 ^^^ YEEEEEEEES!!!

Absolutely amazing news!
Many of de Roubaix’ scores have been/are only available in parts on 7‘‘ and the Barclay of Les Levres Rouges has been on my wishlist for many years (too bloody expensive). Well, I’m probably even more excited about getting the full score soon than I would be if I would find that 7‘‘ in NM condition in a bargain bin.
Last edited by ChrisMcQueen007 on Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By ScoJo
#107726 This is what genius looks like.

maxresdefault.jpg

I've always been obsessed with him, his life and work. Playboy scuba-diving, early-electronic-music-making, cinema-scoring wunderkind?

That's my guy.

Died when he was 36. Diving accident. Such a damn shame.
By zuko
#107738 Wow wow wow, awesome news!

@ScoJo, if you remember, it was you that first clued me in to this score.

Man, that cue with the harp and those killer drums...
By static14
#107771 @Mateo got it. Album was released in 2001. vangelis’ “score” for the Mars Odyssey mission.

He first performed it in 1993. It was recorded in 2001 and released when the Odyssey probe entered orbit around Mars.
By ScoJo
static14 wrote:@Mateo got it. Album was released in 2001. vangelis’ “score” for the Mars Odyssey mission.

He first performed it in 1993. It was recorded in 2001 and released when the Odyssey probe entered orbit around Mars.

Oof!